• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Security Dasuki Explodes: I’m Being Prosecuted for Old Grievances
  • Security

Dasuki Explodes: I’m Being Prosecuted for Old Grievances

By
Prnigeria
-
June 23, 2016
Sambo Dasuki
Sambo Dasuki

Sambo Dasuki
Sambo Dasuki

Former National Security Adviser (NSA) Colonel Mohammed Sambo Dasuki (rtd) has told a federal high court in Abuja that he is being punished by some persons at the highest level of power in the country for perceived grievances they hold against him while in active military service many years ago.

Dasuki who did not name any particular person said that the punishment being meted on him was unfortunate having borne out of mere vendetta.

In an emotion laden submissions while reacting to the government request for his secret trial, Dasuki who spoke through his counsel Mr. Joseph Daudu SAN told the court that he has rested his case in God for the ultimate judgment.

“It is crystal clear that the defendant (Dasuki) is being punished by the powers that be for the perceived offences committed long before… we leave them to the Almighty God for his ultimate judgment”.

Dasuki had been arraigned before three different high courts for various allegations and was granted bail but was rearrested in December last year by the Federal Government and has since been held incommunicado.

At the resumed trial today, the Federal Government had approached the court, seeking secret trial of Dasuki who is facing charges of unlawful possession of firearms, money laundering and breach of trust.

In the fresh motion argued by the prosecuting counsel, Chief Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), government prayed the court to allow witnesses give evidence behind the screen to be provided by the court.

He held that the request hinged on the fact that Dasuki as a former top security chief has large loyalists across the country who may jeopardize the trial if done in the open.

He further submitted that Dasuki has in the recent past held the highest security office in the country and has loyalists in the security circle whose loyalty has been transferred to personality and whose actions might be inimical to prosecution witnesses some of whom are still in the service.

Read Also:

  • Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7
  • Fani-Kayode Slams Trump’s Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign Conspiracy
  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah

Okpeseyin cited the case of the government witness who was involved in a serious accident, resulting in multiple fractures and injuries but however stated that in as much as he would not allude that Dasuki has a hand in the accident, it heightened the need to have the witnesses protected by the court.

He further submitted that in the highest military office where Dasuki served last, loyalty was the first, second and the last rule and because of the peculiar nature of loyalty some persons have for him within the military and beyond, those to give evidence in the trial were at one time or the other, staff of the defendant.

He stressed that since the witnesses are those of the court whose primary duty was to assist the court arrive at a just conclusion, the issue of security must be viewed with a serious concern.

He therefore urged Justice Adeniyi Ademola to screen the witnesses from the public in the interest of justice, and to protect them, their families and career.

But Counsel to Dasuki, Joseph Daudu (SAN), vehemently opposed the request for secret trial of Dasuki.

His argument was that it will breach the principle of fair trial.

He added that contrary to the position of the government, Dasuki cannot be a threat to the witnesses as he has been in the custody of the federal government since December last year.

Daudu argued that open trial is the minimum requirement in a criminal trial and as such, any attempt to opt for a secret trial in the instant case, which was not a capital offense will run contrary to Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution on fail trial.

The Defence counsel therefore asked the court to discountenance the claim made by the prosecution on the issue of loyalty in the military circle, stressing that such claim was a mere speculation and not backed up by facts.

On the accident of the witness, Daudu told the court that the accident would not have been caused by Dasuki, who has been in the government custody for almost a year.

He said that the alleged accident has no bearing with the request for secret trial.

He therefore urged the court to dismiss the application for secret trial as such will trample on the rights of the defendant to fair trial.

Justice Ademola after taking argument from both parties fixed ruling and continuation of trial for September 13, 14 and 15.

By PRNigeria

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • Chief Dipo Okpeseyi
  • Justice Adeniyi Ademola
  • sambo dasuki
Previous articleMassive Boko Haram Clearance in Konduga Axis
Next articleDHQ Responds to Coups Rumours… Appoints Commander for Delta Safe
Prnigeria
Prnigeria
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

President Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs at Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano

Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7

NAF logo

NAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services

Trump, Ribadu, Saudi Prince and Pete Hegseth

Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince

Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori of Kano State

Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Nigerian Army

Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up

Navy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime Security

Police Service Commission

PSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint Committee

Troops of Nigerian Army after successfully foiling an ambush by Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger State

Seal of the Nigerian Senate

Akpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air Force

LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply

Log in to leave a comment

Recent Posts

  • Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7
  • Fani-Kayode Slams Trump’s Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign Conspiracy
  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7Fani-Kayode Slams Trump's Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign ConspiracyNo Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education ProjectsFG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication FellowsBREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate ConfirmationTinubu Appoints Mahmud, Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Others as AmbassadorsNAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health ServicesGenocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu's Team and the Saudi PrinceTroops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing TerroristsUNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  
X whatsapp