Police Boss Launches Anti-Cultism Campaign
Upon my assumption of Office as the Inspector General of Police, I resolved to run a Police Force that is not only proactive in internal security management, but also people-oriented. This is informed by my firm conviction that evolving new initiatives that will address the root causes of crime is a better option than concentrating on its manifestations. Part of these plans is the Police Campaign Against Cultism and Other Vices (POCACOV) which we are gathered here today to launch.
2. The Police Campaign Against Cultism and Other Vices (POCACOV) is an initiative that is aimed at saving our youths from the claws of cultism and other vices through advocacy, awareness creation, sensitization and re-orientation, and School and community outreaches, amongst others. The programme is informed, firstly, by the realisation that there is a correlation between cultism and other violent crimes involving our youth population. Secondly, is that deep-rooted and socially-driven crimes like cultism are best mitigated through a strategy that is premised on community policing practices which encourages building partnership towards addressing delinquencies that threaten our communal values.
3. The POCACOV represents a new approach by the Nigeria Police in combating cultism and other vices. It is also a way of recognizing the fact that core law enforcement approach is no longer enough in combating these sets of crimes. Hence, the need to work with different stakeholders as well as mobilize the people to aid in getting to the root of the crimes.
4. It would be recalled that on 29th August, 2019, I officially flagged off POCACOV in Enugu. Since the official flag-off ceremony, POCACOV has increasingly made impacts across different States of the Federation that have keyed into its operational activities. The National Launch which we are holding here today is in line with my vision to adopt the initiative at national level while encouraging the States to partner with us in domesticating it at other levels of government. In furtherance to this, it is pertinent to note that we have established a POCACOV Resource Centre in Enugu where resource materials and modules are developed for effective nationwide implementation of the campaign.
5. As part of the measures directed at deepening the Campaign, we have also inaugurated the POCACOV Ambassadors scheme with personalities drawn from a broad spectrum of reputable actors, actresses and artistes who shall serve as role models to the youths and are help in carrying out POCACOV campaigns in various states of the Federation.
6. In the same vein, we have inaugurated the NYSC/POCACOV Community Development Service (NYSC/POCACOV CDS) to help in deepening the message at the grassroots. In order to further widen the campaign nationwide, we have also, through the support of the Nigeria Policing Programme, developed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for POCACOV Ambassadors, NYSC/POCACOV CDS and Police-Students Relations Fora. At Present, all Police Public Relations officers across the country have been sensitized on their roles in the nationwide implementation of POCACOV while all Zonal and State Police Commands have been directed to commence the process of the full implementation of the campaign.
7. I wish to call on all stakeholders to join the Nigeria police Force through POCACOV to vigorously carry out enlightenment campaigns with a view to dissuading our youths from engaging in Cultism, Drug Abuse, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence and Other Vices in the Community.
8. As a campaign anchored on the principles of community policing, we invite our youths, transporters, artisans, faith-based and community based organizations, traditional Rulers, youths groups, students, market organizations, sister security agencies, the media, development partners and indeed, all well meaning Nigerians to join forces with the Police and support the campaign in order to save Nigerian Youths from the claws of cultism and other vices and for a safe and secured nation.
9. I appreciate your support and assure you that with your continued partnership, the task of securing the future of our youths and guaranteeing the safety of our nation shall be attained.
IGP MOHAMMED A. ADAMU, NPM, mni,
Inspector General of Police