Buratai Meets Defence Minister as Nigerian Military Reels out Operational Accomplishments
Counter-insurgency Operation: After Buhari, Buratai Visits, Briefs Defence Minister
After briefing President Muhammadu Buhari, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has visited the Minister of Defence, Maj. Gen. Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd.), where he also briefed him on the counter-insurgency operation in the North East.
Buratai’s courtesy call to the Minister was sequel to his return from the North East, where he has been leading the counter-terrorism operation of the Nigerian Army, for over three months now.
According to a statement by the Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the Defence Minister, Mohammad Abdulkadri, the closed-door interface between Magashi and Buratai lasted for over one hour.
Although, the blow-by- blow account of the meeting was not disclosed, speculations are rife that it cannot be far fetched from what is trending in the media.
This include the fire power of troops that neutralized 1,429 Boko Haram terrorists and the arrest of informants of the criminal elements, as well as the high morale of troops in prosecuting the new battle plans, under his command.
Abdulkadri, further said, part of the issues supposedly discussed in the security briefs covered classified information and strategic battle plans, which cannot be publicised so as not to compromise the technicality and tacticalility of the war proceedings.
OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE NEUTRALIZES MORE BOKO HARAM CRIMINALS AS TROOPS INTENSIFY ONSLAUGHT AGAINST THE CRIMINAL ELEMENTS IN THE NORTH-EAST
1. In continuation of aggressive clearance operations across the North-East aimed at decisively ending terrorism in the region, more Boko Haram/ISWAP criminals have been neutralised while others have been arrested.
2. On 8 June 2020, troops of 192 Battalion, Gwoza, Borno State conducted a daring and well-coordinated commando raid on a Boko Haram criminals’ hideout at Kwatara on the Mandara Mountains. The successful operation led to the neutralization of several terrorists while many others fled with gunshot wounds.
3. Also on 8 June 2020, troops of 151 Battalion deployed at Strong Response Area Miyanti conducted a deliberate ambush operation against Boko Haram criminals along Darel Jamel – Miyanti Road and successfully neutralized two terrorists while two women were rescued in the process. Troops also recovered 2 bicycles, one sack containing 121 pairs of new rubber slippers and the sum of Twenty Nine Thousand and Five Hundred Naira (N 29,500.00) only.
4. Relatedly, one Boko Haram member named *Mustapha Kori* surrendered to troops of Army Super Camp 11, Gamboru on 8 June 2020. The surrendered insurgent confessed that he actively participated in Boko Haram activities for the past 5 years but managed to escape from their camp at Fulatari around Lake Chad after a series of Artillery bombardments of their location which led to the death of most of their fighters including their local commanders.
5. Earlier on 5 June 2020, troops of 195 Battalion deployed at Strong Response Area Zabarmari, Borno State conducted a long range clearance patrol to Jajeri, Gurnum Kole l, Gurnum Kole ll, Malis and Ladin Mbuta. Troops also cleared Asala Fura, Mai Njika, Kanube, Kessa Ngala, Taula and Shuwabe. At Taula, troops stormed a Boko Haram hideout, neutralizing 3 criminals while others fled in disarray. Troops also recovered one solar panel charger, one cell phone, rubber solution, roasted beef, rice, cooking pots and some cooking ingredients before destroying the enclave.
6. Same troops of 195 Battalion on 5 June 2020, deployed at Dusuman in conjunction with elements of Borno State Civilian Joint Task Force conducted a successful night ambush at a Boko Haram crossing point along Dusuman – Zabarmari track road, eliminating one Boko Haram criminal in the process. Troops also recovered one AK 47 Rifle and one AK 47 Rifle magazine loaded with 2 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition.
7. Furthermore, on the same day 5 June 2020, troops of 271 Task Force Tank Battalion, Michika, Adamawa State, acting on credible Human Intelligence, tracked and arrested a Boko Haram spy named KAWALU during Jummat Prayer at Michika Central Mosque. The arrested suspect confessed to have come from Maikadiri a Boko Haram criminals’ enclave. Suspect is presently in troops’ custody for further interrogation.
8. Consequently, the Chief of Army Staff commends the gallant troops for their, resilience, courage and dedication to the noble cause of defending our fatherland. The High Command of the Armed Forces of Nigeria also urges the troops to remain steadfast and focused as they sustain the onslaught against the enemies of our nation.
Defence Media Operations
Nine Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms in Abeokuta
The Ibadan Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction of nine internet fraudsters, before two different judges of the Federal High Court, Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
The latest of the convictions, involved Toheeb Abdulrasheed and Chukwuebuka Isaac Dike, who were sentenced by Justice Mohammed Abubakar of the Federal High Court, Abeokuta, Ogun State on Monday, June 8, 2020 for their involvement in internet-related fraud.
Dike, who claimed to be a 100-level Biochemistry student of the Federal University of Agriculture, FUNAAB, was sentenced to three months in prison; while Abdulrasheed, a self-acclaimed graduate of Business Administration from Moshood Abiola
Polytechnic, MAPOLY, Abeokuta, bagged four months.
Their sentences followed the prayer of prosecution counsel, Abdulrasheed Suleiman for their conviction after they pleaded guilty to their respective amended one-count charge.
Aside the prison sentences, the judge also ordered that Abdulrasheed restituted the sum of $600USD (Six Hundred United States Dollars) to his victim, through the Federal Government of Nigeria, and to also forfeit his iPhone 6 to the Federal Government. Dike on the other hand, was ordered to restitute the sum of $500USD (Five Hundred United States Dollars) to his victim and ceded his Gold iPhone 11 Pro Max and Rose Gold Infinix Hot 5 to the Federal Government.
Back to Tuesday, June 2, 2020, Justice Ibrahim Watilat of the same Federal High Court, Abeokuta convicted and sentenced the trio of Tobiloba Oni, Paul Oluwadamilare Odole and Michael Oluwaseun Jemiseye, having found them guilty of the criminal charges preferred against them by the Ibadan Zonal Office of the Commission.
Oni was handed four months imprisonment; Jemiseye got three months with N120,000 option of fine, while Odole got four months with equally N120,000 option of fine.
Apart from forfeiting all items recovered from them to the Federal Government, the convicts were mandated to sign a pact with the EFCC to be of good behaviour and never to be involved in any form of economic and financial crime within or outside the country and moreover, to always make themselves available for participation in subsequent anti-corruption campaigns of the Commission.
Justice Watilat in the same vein, convicted three additional others for internet-related crimes. The convicts: Favour Chinueze Ekeh, Kolade Nwachukwu and Sultan Adeniji Egbede were handed three months imprisonment each with N100,000, N50,000 and N100,000 option of fine, respectively, which must be paid within two days of the sentence or else, the prison term would apply.
Justice Abubarkar had on Tuesday, June 2, 2020, convicted Rotimi Quadri Akinlolu of involvement in internet fraud. He was sentenced to six months imprisonment with effect from March 6 when he was arrested. Aside the jail term, he forfeited all items recovered from him to the Federal Government.
Apart from Suleiman, other prosecution counsels involved in the convictions include: Tunde Sonoiki, Oyelakin Oyediran and Bashir Shamsuddeen.
Head, Media & Publicity
PRESS STATEMENT DEFENCE MINISTER MAJ GEN BASHIR SALIHI MAGASHI, RtD RECEIVES COAS’S OPERATIONAL BRIEFS FROM FRONTLINE.
The MInister of Defence Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi has officially received in audience the Chief of Army Staff,Lt Gen Yusuf Tukur Buratai who reportedly gathered came on Operationl briefs.
This was sequel to his return from the North east where he led Counter terrorism Operations for over two months in the trenches.
Buratai’s visit to the Minister of Defence in less than 24 hours after briefing the Commander-in-Chief, President Muhammadu Buhari at the State house was strategically imperative with a view to ending the menace of Boko Haram terrorism in the country.
The Special Assistant Media and Publicity to the Minister, Mohammad Abdulkadri reports that the closed door interface between the Minister and the Chief of Army Staff lasted for over one hour.
Although , the blow -by- blow accounts of the operational briefs by Lt Gen Buratai to the Minister of Defence were not disclosed to the Media, but it is implied that it cannot be far fetched from what are trending in the public and Media domains.
They included, the fire powers of the troops that neutralised 1,429 Boko Haram terrorists and the arrest of the informants of the criminal elements as well as decisive and aggressive posture and high morale of the troops in prosecuting the new battle plans under his command.
Again, part of the issues supposedly discussed in the security briefs covered classified informations and strategic battle plans which cannot be publicised so as not to compromise and undermine the technicality and tacticalility of the war proceedings.
SA Media and Publicity to the HMOD