Enugu: EndSARS Hoodlums Kill Two Policemen, Burnt Down Police Stations
*PRESS BRIEFING/PARADE OF SUSPECTS ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE HIJACKED AND VIOLENT END SARS PROTEST IN ENUGU BY THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, ENUGU STATE POLICE COMMAND, CP AHMAD ABDUR-RAHMAN MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, HELD THIS 28TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2020 AT STATE HEADQUARTERS, ENUGU*
Good day Gentlemen of the Press and welcome to this Press briefing and Parade of suspects arrested in connection with the hijacked and violent END SARS Protests within Enugu Metropolis, which led to the unwarranted loss of lives, burning and wanton destruction of both public and private properties, shops, banks’ ATMs, armed robbery, assault, stealing and so on.
You will recall that the Protest which was hitherto peaceful, took a different turn when hoodlums hijacked it on 21st October, 2020 and started causing havoc of unimaginable proportion by setting burn-fires on virtually all the streets in Enugu Metropolis, destroying public and private facilities, shops, assaulting, harassing, stealing and robbing innocent citizens of their possessions in the City.
Sadly, these mindless miscreants went ahead to gruesomely murder two Policemen, burnt down Police Stations, operational and other vehicles after series of stiff resistance by Operatives. They also set ablaze different office buildings, a hall as well as destroyed banks’ ATMs, buildings, shops and so on.
Nonetheless, the command has so far successfully arrested a total of twenty-three (23) male suspects involved in this mayhem for the offences of conspiracy, unlawful assembly and riotous acts, murder, arson, armed robbery, malicious damage, stealing, obstruction, breach of public peace, inciting disturbance, and belonging to the Proscribed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB).
Breakdown of losses and damages incurred in the wake of this carnage perpetrated by the hoodlums are follows:
*Police Officers killed include:*
– Inspector John Jesse attached to Emene Police Division, who was gruesomely murdered, set ablaze and burnt beyond recognition by the miscreants in the premises of the Police Station; and
– Police Constable Ogboji Emmanuel attached to Department of Operations, who was also gruesomely murdered and set ablaze on his way to work at “T-Junction”, Abakpa, Enugu.
*Police Station burnt down include:*
– Emene Police Station with two operational Hilux and other vehicles, including exhibits, which was burnt down;
– Amechi-Idodo Police Station, which was burnt down;
– Akwatta Police Post under Central Police Station, which was burnt down;
– Maryland Police Post under Uwani Police Division, which was burnt down; and
– Phase 6 Police Post under Trans-Ekulu Police Division, which was set ablaze and partially burnt.
*Other Public and Private Buildings/Offices either Burnt or Destroyed include:*
– Nigeria Immigration Service Office Complex at Emene, which was set ablaze and office equipment carted away;
– National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) Office Building at Emene, which was set ablaze;
– Njodo Community Development Centre, Emene, which was burnt;
– Enugu North Local Government Council Secretariat’s security house, which was burnt down while some of its office buildings were destroyed;
– University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus security house, which was vandalized;
– First, Access, UBA, Fidelity, Eco and other Banks’ ATMs as well as shops, which were destroyed and/or vandalized.
*Details of the Suspects, who were arrested at different dates and locations while perpetrating the mentioned dastardly and heinous crimes under the guise of END SARS Protest, are as follows:*
1. Okechukwu Jude aged 32, a native of Nkagbogo Uwana in Afikpo North L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
2. Okoro Abel aged 22, a native of Okpakun in Aninri L.G.A of Enugu State;
3. Nwokwu Tochukwu aged 18, a native of Iyanrige in Izza L.G.A of Ebonyi State (He was involved in setting Njodo Community Development Center Hall ablaze);
4. Edeh Victor aged 20, a native of Onunegwu Ugbawka in Nkanu East L.G.A of Enugu State;
5. Eze Emmanuel aged 25, a native of Ekimoha Ndede in Ezza South L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
6. Onwe Chinedu aged 38, a native of Umugwudu Osha in Ohaukwu L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
7. Sunday Daniel aged 35, a native of Enyi in Ikwo L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
8. Ojiego Chibuike aged 34, a native of Ore Ekwulobia in Aguata L.G.A of Anambra State;
9. Chukwudi Okafor aged 34, a native of Onunweke Ojewa Akucha in Ezagu Ishielu L.G.A of Ebonyi State (He was involved in the gruesome murder of PC Emmanuel Ogbojie);
10. Okoche Patrick aged 32, a native of Amuro Ezi-Esala in Afikpo North L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
11. Chidiebere Odozi aged 25, a native of Ukwa Agbo in Mgbo L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
12. Ewa Madubuko aged 35, a native of Amasiri in Afikpo North L.G.A of Ebonyi State;
13. Nwankwo Emmanuel aged 19, resident at Bunkers Coal Camp, Enugu;
14. Ekeoye Chima aged 18yrs, a native of Ebonyi State;
15. Agbor Michael aged 19, a native of Cross Rivers State;
16. Omeh Kelechi aged 19, a native of Ebonyi State;
17. Nweze Osondu aged 19, a native of Ebonyi State;
18. Nwigbakpor Chibuikem aged 18, a native of Ebonyi State;
19. Aniobi Chinemerem aged 19, a native of Ebonyi State;
20. Nwali Emmanuel aged 22, a native of Ebonyi State;
21. Aneke Boniface aged 32, a native of Uzo in Ezza North L.G.A of Ebonyi State; and
22. Egbo Chukwuka aged 27, a native of Ohaukwu L.G.A of Ebonyi State (suspected charm used for fortification was recovered in private part);
23. Ojobo Stanley aged 33, a native of Enugu-Ezike in Igbo-Eze North L.G.A of Enugu State (he allegedly videoed and sent same to IPOB Leader in compliance with his directives).
*Items recovered from them include:*
* Thirteen (13) machetes/cutlasses;
* A bag containing thirty-six (36) different brands of mobile phones;
* An item bond with a padlock suspected to be a charms;
* A gun-like shape iron; and
* Cash sum of Twenty-Six Thousand, One Hundred Seventy-Five Naira (N26,175.00).
At this junction, Gentlemen of the Press, I wish to inform you that in line with the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu NPM, mni directive to reclaim the Public Space and restoring normalcy in the State, I have directed all Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers, Heads of Tactical and Operational Departments as well as all Operatives of the Command to comply with and enforce the directive to the letter.
I also wish to sincerely appreciate the peaceful residents of the State who have supported us in this fight and urge all and sundry, especially Religious, Traditional, Markets and Union Leaders as well as the Youth to remain law-abiding and support the Command further as we vigorously work towards returning our beloved Enugu City and the State in general to her peaceful status.
There is no doubt that, as a people, we have gone through unquantifiable stress and trauma these past days. But I urge us all to remain calm, vigilant and prayerful, while ensuring we do not allow these disgruntled and misguided criminal elements to further wreak havoc as we have experienced these last few days in our dear State under the guise of END SARS Protest.
Furthermore, while reminding residents of Enugu Metropolis that the 13 hours curfew from 6:00am to 7:00am imposed by the State Government is still in force, I wish to call on the Youths to avoid conducting themselves in ways that could lead to the further breakdown of law and order in view of the END SARS Protest. Instead, they should utilize the various panels set-up by both the Federal and Enugu State Governments to register and pursue their grievances.
I also enjoin Parents and Guardians to caution and restrain their children and wards from further engaging in these acts of violence and wanton destruction of lives and property, as anyone caught will certainly face the full weight of the law.
CP Ahmad AbdurRahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM
Commissioner of Police,
Enugu State Command