Female students injured as fire razed hostel in UNIMAID
At least three female student were injured with one of them burnt beyond recognition in a raging fire at the female hostel of the University of Maiduguri(UNIMAID), on Saturday.
The inferno which began at about 7:10 a.m., destroyed properties and other valuables of students at Murtala female hostel.
PRNigeria gathered that the incident occurred when one of the students was cooking at A4/ Room 1. The names of the two students could not be ascertained as of the time of filing this report, but it was learnt that, a flat in the section of the building was razed down by the fire.
Sources said: “Many students from the hostel who scampered for safety as the fire turned into a massive blaze accompanied by thick smoke and the flames, were heard calling out the management of the university for help as one of the injured victim was laying down on the floor.
“The prompt response of Fire Service team in the university and security personnel, helped in putting out the fire which prevented it from escalating into other parts of the hostels.
Reacting to the incident, Professor Danjuma Gambo, Director Radio and Public Relations of the university confirned the incident in a statement.
Gambo said that preliminary investigation has revealed that Kerosene explosion, as a result of suspected adulteration, was responsible for the fire.
According to him, three students were affected, with one of them more injured. All of them are undergoing treatment at one of the hospitals in Maiduguri.
“The fire has already been put out by men of the University’s Fire Service Unit. No other parts of the hostel have been affected by the fire.
“This unfortunate incident is regrettable, especially in view of recent efforts by Management to enforce fire safety regulations in student hostels,” said Prof. Gambo.
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
591 days 2 minutes 13 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
573 days 1 hour 43 minutes 38 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com