NIS Trains Immigration Spokespersons on Combating Irregular Migration
The acting Comptroller General, Isah Jere Idris, has declared the first batch of a-two-day Capacity Building Workshop for Public Relations Officers drawn from across Commands and Formations. The event held on Wednesday 24th and Thursday 25th November, 2021 at Watbridge Hotel, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
The Two-Day training programme was organized in conjunction with a Spanish Non-Governmental Organization, FIIAPP with the theme: “Communication Strategies as an Effective Tool in the Prevention of Migrants Smuggling and Human Trafficking”. The event had forty-three (43) Public Relations Officers drawn from various Commands and Formations as participants. Renowned resource persons including the Service Public Relations Officer, Assistant Comptroller Amos OKPU were on hand to deliver incisive presentations to the participants.
Declaring the event, Comptroller of Immigration Service in-charge of Akwa Ibom State Command, Compt. George Didel who represented the acting Comptroller General of Immigration, Isah Jere Idris, described the theme of the Workshop as apt and timely especially now that cases of Smuggling of Migrants (SoM) and Trafficking in Person
(TIP) are at the front burner in major global discourses.
He commended the organizers, (FIIAPP) for taking the initiative to contribute to enhanced capacity development for NIS Spokespersons which will translate to the good image of the Service. The senior Project Officer of FIIAPP in Nigeria Mr. Joseph Sanwo who represented the Team Leader Mr. Raefel Mois Molina said the workshop was a contribution to capacity building of the Public Relations Officers of the NIS and was sponsored by the EU.
4. Critical highpoints of the training workshop include;
· That the massive revolution in ICT is increasingly demanding that Public Relations practitioners must invest in huge capacity building efforts to remain relevant in modern PR practice;
· That heads of Commands and Formations should place enhanced importance to their Public Relations Officers to enable them function effectively in positive image building and in the fight against irregular migration;
· That more measures should be emplaced to regularly improve the capacity of the Public Relations Officers to build communication messages around irregular migration;
· That deliberate efforts should be constantly emplaced to foster healthy relationships between the Service and its publics.
5. The two-day event implemented by FIIAPP, (a Spanish non-profit organization) received tremendous support from the European Union.
Amos OKPU mnipr
ASSISTANT COMPTROLLER OF IMMIGRATION
SERVICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: COMPTROLLER GENERAL OF IMMIGRATION
25TH NOVEMBER, 2021
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
220 days 17 hours 13 minutes 34 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
202 days 18 hours 54 minutes 59 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com