Nigerian Military Kill 27 ISWAP Terrorists, Arrest 42 Others
The troops activities and operational successes being recorded in the various operational theaters within the 6 geo-political zones of the Country. In the past 2 weeks, both kinetic and non-kinetic operations were conducted in the various theatres of operations, which recorded significant results. The brief will cover operational activities of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies conducted in addressing the various security challenges across the Country between the period of 20 October – 3 November 2022.
NORTH EAST ZONE
2. Troops of operation HADIN KAI in the North East Zone have sustained operational activities in villages, mountains, town and cities within their area of responsibility. Between 20 October to 2 November 2022, troops conducted ambushes, clearance operations, fighting patrols and cordon and search operations at different locations in Bama, Kukawa, Kaga, and Biu Local Government Areas in Borno State as well as Damaturu, Gujba and Geidam Local Government Areas in Yobe States. Troops arrested 27 suspected Boko Haram/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists, neutralized 19 and recovered 1 RPG bomb, 1 GPMG, 2 x 36 hand grenade, 6 AK47 rifles, 61 rounds of 7.62mm special, 36 refilled 7.62 mm special, 3 AK47 magazines and 3 magazine holders. Others are 6 motorcycles, 7 bicycles, 1 pumping machine, 6 grinding machines, 9 mobile phones, 6 x 25litres jerrican of PMS, bag of grains, motorcycle accessories, foodstuff, 1 baofeng radio and the sum of Ten Thousand Six Hundred and Sixty (N10,660.00) Naira only as well as other sundry items.
3. Precisely, on the 20 October 2022, troops in conjunction with Department of State Security personnel and Civilian Joint Task Force made contact with Boko Haram/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists in Buduwa and Banki villages in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State and neutralized 1 terrorist while other fled with gunshot injuries. Also, 1 terrorist surrendered to own troops and handover 1 AK47 rifle, 5 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition, 1 baofeng radio, 2 mobile phones, 1 camel pack amongst other items. On the same day, 2 suspected Boko Haram/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists were arrested in Damaturu, Yobe State. Also, on 24 Oct 2022 troops in conjunction with Civilian Joint Task Force at custom Internally Displaced Persons Camp Shuwari town in Maiduguri Local Government Area of Borno State arrested one suspect in possession of 67 Permanent Voter Cards. Suspect is currently in troops custody for further interrogation. Also, in the same camp, a known terrorist Mr Lawan Yashin who attempted to escape upon sighting troops was neutralized. During the period in focus, a total of 145 Boko Haram Terrorists and their families comprising 30 adult males, 33 adult females and 82 children surrendered to troops at different locations within the North East theatre of operation.
4. Also, the air component of Operation HADIN KAI on 21 October 2022 conducted air interdiction mission on a terrorist convoy movement along Tunbum Aliyu, near Lake Chad, a terrorist location Southwest of Maiduguri. The strikes eliminated several terrorists as well as seven gun trucks and other materials. Similarly, based on credible intelligence of terrorist hibernating in enclaves in Abulum and Njibul near Sambisa forest, the air component struck the locations simultaneously and eliminated scores of terrorists while the injured ones were observed to be have scampered for safety.
NORTH CENTRAL ZONE
5. Troops in the North Central Zone of the Country have sustained the onslaught against terrorists and other criminal elements in their general area of operation which yielded tremendous success. Notably, on 29 October 2022, In a coordinated operation between the land component and the air component, troops repelled an attack by the Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa State Province terrorists at Wawa Cantonment in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State. Following the engagement, troops neutralized 3 terrorists and captured 5. Additionally, troops recovered 1 HK 21 gun, 1 PKT gun, 598 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 676 rounds of 7.62 special, 3,902 rounds of AK49 ammunition, 2 RPG tubes, 7 RPG bombs, 1 grenade and 3 cartons of Improvised Explosive Devices accessories. Other items include 2 vehicles, 2 motorola radios, 2 radio chargers, cartons of drip, motorcycles, mobile phones and other sundry items. Equally, a follow up and exploitation operation was conducted by troops in conjunction with vigilantes at Tungan Gagara and Damala villages where contacts was made with the terrorist, following the fire fight, 13 terrorist were arrested while several others jumped into the river. Items recovered during the encounter include 5 AK47 rifles, 163 rounds of PKT gun, 169 rounds of 7.62mm special, and 5 AK47 magazines. Other items recovered are 2 mobile phones, 2 HH radio and the sum of Fifty Two thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Naira (N52,850.00) only. Consequently, similar operation was carried out on 1 November 2022 at Babusara village in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, during the encounter, troops neutralized 3 terrorists while other fled in disarray. Troops also recovered 2 AK47 rifles loaded with 112 rounds of 7.62mm special.
6. Equally, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE in conjunction with the Nigeria Police and NDLEA operatives on 28 October 2022 raided identified drug peddlers hideout around North bank in Makurdi Local Government Area of Benue State. During the operation, 14 suspected illicit drug peddlers were arrested, with large quantities of substance suspected to be hard drugs. Also, troops of Guards Brigade raided an illegal mining site at Tukashara Wasa, Apo in Abuja Municipal Area Council on 30 October 22 and arrested 60 suspected illegal miners as well recovered 4 dane guns, I locally fabricated gun, 14 cutlasses, 4 sleg hammers, 25 motorcycles, 1 vehicle and other items. Troops on the same day also arrested 2 trailers loaded with illegal mined items.
7. Between the 21 – 24 October 2022, Troops of Operations SAFE HAVEN conducted raid operation at Burgel town in Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area of Bauchi State, Tangur village and Dorowa Bukuru town in Bokkos and Jos South Local Government Areas of Plateau State. During the raid operation, troops arrested 5 suspected kidnappers. Items recovered from the suspects were 2 wooden fabricated rifles, 1 round of 7.62mm special, 1 mobile phone, substance suspected to be cannabis sativa, and other illicit drugs. Troops also raided villages in Qu’an Pan, Jos South, Jos East and Jema’s Local Government Areas of Plateau and Kaduna States and arrested 2 suspected drug peddlers, 3 suspected armed robbers and 2 suspected kidnappers.
8. Equally, on 23 October 2022, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE based on intelligence on the movement of suspected kidnappers on Road Takun-Wakari in Taraba State, neutralized 2 suspected kidnappers as they attempted to escape on sighting own troops at their hideout. Items recovered were 2 mobile phones, 1 power bank, 1 identification card, 1 bag containing charms, 1 bag containing drugs and the sum of Eight Hundred and Sixty Five Thousand Four Hundred and Sixty Naira (N865,460.00) amongst others. Similarly, on 29 October 2022, credible information revealed that a kidnapper kingpin who was an escapee from the Jos prison break was at Farin Kasa in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State. Troops responded promptly and the suspect was neutralized while trying to escape from his hideout. Troops also neutralized a notorious kidnappers identified as Ibrahim Abdullahi in Goro village of Plateau State while equally trying to escape from his hideout.
9. Also, Troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN between 27 – 30 October 2022 conducted cordon and search/rescue operations following credible intelligence on kidnapping activities in Kafancha, Kaura, Zango Kataf and Jema’a Local Government Areas of Kaduna as well as Mangu, Riyon, Qu’anpan and Jos East Local Government Areas of Plateau States. During the operations, troops arrested 3 kidnappers, 3 suspected gun runners and rescued 2 kidnapped victims. Troops recovered 4 locally fabricated rifles, 4 rounds of 7.62mm special, 2 machetes among others. Equally, on 29 October 2022, troops responded to information on kidnapping activity on road Jos – Abuja at Bindi village, in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State. Troops discovered that the criminal had abducted 5 occupants in a Sharon vehicle, which was enroute Jos. Troops pursued and made contact with criminals. During exchange of fire, troops neutralized 2 kidnappers and rescued the 5 victims. Troops recovered 1 locally fabricated rifles loaded with one round of 7.62mm special, 1 dagger, 2 machetes and 2 mobile phones.
NORTH WEST ZONE
10. Troops of operation HADARIN DAJI and WHIRL PUNCH in the North West Zone of the Country have continued to sustain operational activities through the conduct of fighting and clearance patrols to clear terrorists enclaves. Consequently, troops conducted operational activities at various locations within Zamfara, Sokoto, Kaduna and Kebbi States between 21 October – 2 November 2022. During the various operation, troops neutralized 25 terrorists, rescued 19 civilians and arrested 18 terrorists. Troops also recovered 10 AK47 rifles with 3 magazines containing 69 rounds of 7.62mm special, 1 round of 9mm, 2 pump action guns, 3 cartridges, 12 dane guns, 3 locally made pistol, 18 mobile phones, 4 motorcycle and recovered 441 rustled cattles. Notably, troops of Operation WHIRL PUNCH on 23 October 2022 responded to the presence of terrorist at Abasia – Amala villages, East of Polewire and Maidaro villages in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State and made contact with the terrorist. During the encounter, troops neutralized 2 terrorists, recovered 1 AK47 rifle, 2 magazines containing 38 rounds of 7.62mm special, 14 mobile phones, one dane gun, 2 baofeng radios as well as 11 motorcycles which were destroyed.
11. Similarly, on 24 October 2022 troops of Operation WHIRL PUNCH conducted fighting patrol along Road Buruku – Angwan Yako – Udawa in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State and made contact with terrorist. Following a fire fight the terrorist fled leaving their kidnapped victims. Troops exploited area and rescued 10 civilians and recovered 3 vehicles. Equally, on 27 October 2022 troops conducted clearance patrol in Anka and Faskari Local Government Areas of Zamfara and Katsina States. Troops neutralized 2 bandits, rescued 9 kidnapped victims, recovered 1 AK47 rifle, 4 rounds of 7.62mm special, 1 motorcycle and 2 mobile phones. In a related development, on the same day, based on credible information on Boko Haram/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorist activities at Dumburum forest west of Kwari village in Danmusa Local Government Area of Katsina State, the air component of HADARIN DAJI carried out air bombardment at the identified terrorists location. Feedback of the air strike revealed that scores of terrorists were neutralized with others badly injured following the air strike.
12. Similarly, on 30 October 2022, troops on fighting patrol along Road Bindi – Gobirwan, Chali village in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State made contact with terrorist. During the encounter troops neutralized 1 terrorist while others fled with gun shot injuries. Troops also recovered 1 AK47 loaded with 28 rounds of 7.62mm special and 1 motorcycle amongst others. Also, the air component of Operation HADARIN DAJI on the 21 October 2022 conducted an air strike at Maradum Local Government Area of Zamfara State, on an identified terrorist leader’s location. Credible intelligence revealed that the terrorist leader and foot soldiers had scheduled an early-morning meeting in a location, while their logistics base where ammunitions, vehicles, motorcycles and other ill-gotten loots were stored in another location. Consequently, air sticks were carried out simultaneously at both locations and feedbacks, confirmed that several terrorists were eliminated and their logistics destroyed.
SOUTH SOUTH ZONE
13. Troops of the Joint Task Force, Operation DELTA SAFE in the South South Zone of the Country have sustained pressure towards denying criminal elements freedom of action, essential to sustain a conducive environment for economic activities to thrive while ensuring relative peaceful environment and protection of oil and gas infrastructure in the general area. The maritime and land component of Operation DELTA SAFE in the conduct of operation OCTOPUS GRIP conducted operational activities at creeks, waterways, communities, villages, towns and cities within Delta, Bayelsa, Cross River and Rivers States between 20 October – 2 November 2022. During the operations, troops discovered and destroyed 57 illegal refining sites, 35 wooden boats, 304 storage tanks, 172 cooking ovens, 12 dugout pits, 5 drums, 2 reservoirs, 2 illegal bunkering camp and 6 illegal bunkering boats. Troops also recovered 34,547 barrels of crude oil, 650,000 litres of Automotive Gas Oil, 5,000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit, 10,000 litres of Dual Purpose Kerosine, 7 pumping machines, 7 vehicles, 5 motorcycles, 1 double barrel gun, 2 live cartridges and arrested 5 pipeline vandals.
14. In a related development, troops of Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO in the sustained fight against oil theft and maritime illegalities between 23 – 30 October 2022 discovered and destroyed 11 illegal refineries, 107 metal storage tanks, 5 wooden boats, 58 dugout pits, 38 ovens, 6 fibre boats, 28 reservoirs, 15 jerrycans, 2 pumping machines, 20,000 brls of crude oil and 167,900 litres of Automotive Gas Oil. Cumulatively, within the weeks under review, oil thieves were denied a total of 54,547 brls of crude oil, 817, 900 litres of Automotive Gas Oil, 5,000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit and 10,000 litres of Dual Purpose Kerosine amounting to the sum of Two Billion Four Hundred and Thirty Five Million Twenty One Thousand Three Hundred Forty Three Naira Ninety Four Kobo (N2,435,021,343.94)
15. Also, on 31 October 2022, following intelligence on Eastern Security Network criminals attack on Ikwere community in Ikwere Local Government Area and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) office in Port Harcourt Local Government Area in Rivers State. Troops in conjunction with operatives of the office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) tracked and raided the criminals location and arrested 2 Eastern Security Network criminals kingpins at Oyigbo in Oyigbo Local Government Area of River State. Troops recovered 2 Ak47 rifles, 285 rounds of 7.62mm special, 84 rounds 7.62mm NATO, 1 empty magazine, 2 mobile phones, 3 sim packs, a file containing documents, 3 ATM cards, NIN certificate, voters cards and charms.
SOUTH EAST ZONE
16. In a continuous effort to eliminate criminal elements in the South Eastern Zone of the Country, troops and other security agencies have not relented on their constitutional mandate in tackling insecurity in the zone. Notably, on 20 October 2022, troops while on duty at Isuofia in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State were attacked by suspected Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals. Troops however, repelled the attack and arrested 1 of the criminals, recovered 2 pistols and 4 rounds of 9mm ammo. Also, on the same day, following a tip-off, troops arrested a known armed robber at Ibagwa community in Igbo-Eze Local Government Area of Enugu State. Troops recovered 1 locally made revolver pistol, 2 mobile phones and 1 motorcycle. Suspect in troops custody for further action. Also, on 24 October 2022, troops and Nigerian Police personnel on fighting patrol around Nkwere forest in Oji-River Local Government Area of Enugu State came in contact with suspected Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals mounted on SUVs and motorcycles, who fled on sighting troops. Troops pursued the criminals and engaged with superior fire, forcing them to abandon their vehicles and motorcycles. Troops exploited the area and recovered 2 SUV vehicles, 3 motorcycles, cooking utensils amongst others. All recovered items are in troops custody for further necessary action.
17. In another development between 21 October – 2 November 2022, troops conducted anti-illegal bunkering operation to Ama-Hausa Arugu and Umuokabia Ugodo villages in Ngor Okpala Local Government Area of Imo State. During the operation, troops discovered and destroyed illegal bunkered oil in 79 sacks of 50 litres Automotive Gas Oil each, 8 gallons of 25 litres, 3 nylons with 3 drum containing refined products, arrested a bus and 2 suspects conveying illegal refined Automotive Gas Oil and 1 Toyota Avalon containing 1,200 litres of Automotive Gas Oil. Troops also discovered a loading point in an abandoned filling station with 3 vehicles containing 1,400 litres each of diesel and 2 tanks containing 1,000 litres each of diesel. Furthermore, troops conducted a clearance operation at the Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network Camp at Amu Agba community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State and made contact with the criminals who fled following a fire fight. Troops exploited area and recovered 4 motorcycles, 32 rounds of 5.56mm, 1 round of 7.62mm NATO, 1 locally fabricated pistol, 1 dane gun and 4 IEDs amongst others.
18. Also, on 27 October 2022 troops in conjunction with Nigeria Police and Department of State Service conducted clearance operation on the Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network camp at Orsumoghu village in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State. troops made contact with criminals and in a fire fight neutralized 5 criminals, arrested 2 and recovered 1 Ak47 rifle, 2 rounds of 7.62mm special, 1 dane gun, 4 locally fabricated composite Improvise Explosive Devices, 1 single barrel rifle, 15 locally fabricated mortar tubes, 1 pistol hoister, military uniforms, 1 motorcycles, 1 power generating set among others. Also, on 28 October 2022, troops of Operation DELTA SAFE in conduct of Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO acting on credible intelligence discovered an illegal acquired crude oil trucking point in Oseakwa town, Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State. Troop intercepted 2 wooden boats laden with 30,000 litres of stolen crude oil, 102 nylon sacks of crude oil were found offloaded near the boats, 1 x 30,000 litres metal storage tank, 2 x 15,000 litres Geepee tank filled with 30,000 litres of Automotive Gas Oil, 6 drum filled with Automotive Gas Oil and 2 pumping machines.
SOUTH WEST ZONE
19. Troops of Operation AWATSE in a joint border patrol to Iyaafin waterside, Gbaji and Lafenwa town in Badagry and Abeokuta Local Government Areas of Lagos and Ogun State discovered and evacuated 240 x 30litres jerricans of Premium Motor Spirit, 36 x 50kg bags of foreign rice and 1 vehicle. Also, on 24 October 2022, troops received information of a kidnap and ransom threat from a man at Ogogo village in Orire Local Government Area of Oyo State. Troops in conjunction with DIA and DSS personnel trailed and arrested a kidnapper kingpin in connection with the threats. During interrogation, the suspect mentioned 3 members of his gang which were also arrested and handed over to the DSS for further investigation. On 28 October 2022, troops raided Sangotedo Shoprite in Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State and arrested 4 suspected drug peddlers. Troops recovered 12 packs of Indian hemp, 52 wraps of Indian hemp, 1 jack knife, 3 mobile phones, N21,829.00 among other items.
20. On a final note, I wish once again convey the military high command commendations on troops efforts in the various theatres of operation across the nation. The media community is also acknowledged for their partnership and continued cooperation with the military and other security agencies, in our quest to restore peace and security to our dear Country. Also, the entire populace is hereby appreciated, for the support given to the Armed Forces and other security agencies in the conduct of our operations, while also urging them to continue to provide prompt and creditable information on the activities of terrorists and other criminal elements, in their respective areas.
Thank you all for your attention and GOD bless.
3 November 2022 Defence Media Operations
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
524 days 22 hours 55 minutes 18 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
507 days 36 minutes 43 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com