• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home National CSO Urges CBN to Exclude Hajj Pilgrims from BTA on ATM card...
  • National
  • Sponsored
  • State

CSO Urges CBN to Exclude Hajj Pilgrims from BTA on ATM card policy

By
Prnigeria
-
February 5, 2025
Hajj Exercise Around Ka'abah
Hajj Exercise Around Ka'abah

CSO Urges CBN to Exclude Hajj Pilgrims from BTA on ATM card policy

Independent Hajj Reporters, (IHR), a faith-based registered Civil Society Organization (CSO), that reports, monitors and advocates for workable Hajj policies in Nigeria has urged the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to exclude Hajj 2025 intending pilgrims from the new policy of payment of Basic Travel Allowance (BTA) of via ATM Cards.

IHR in a statement on Wednesday by its national coordinator, Ibrahim Muhammad said the policy will create unprecedented hardship and confusion in the hajj eco system in Nigeria.

The CSO was at the forefront of the same campaign against the use of ATM cards to pay pilgrims their BTA during last year’s Hajj pilgrimage.

“We advise CBN to exclude Hajj pilgrims from this policy because of the foreseen hardship to be faced by our dollar pilgrims while in Saudi Arabia”.

Before the commencement of the 2024 Hajj airlift, the apex bank had informed the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), States and the Armed Forces that the payment of the year’s Hajj BTA, which was pegged at $500 per pilgrim would be issued in the ratio of 60/40% cash and card.

The bank said only $200 will be given in cash while the balance of $300 will be given in cards.

The decision generated a lot of controversy because of the expected challenges to the use of cards by the average Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.

Read Also:

  • Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince
  • Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists
  • UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  

IHR said that it understands that the CBN has promised to implement the policy during the forthcoming hajj exercise.

“Firstly, the majority of Nigerian pilgrims are from rural areas and most of them are not versatile in the use of e-payment systems.

“They can easily enter the wrong pin 3 times and the cards will be blocked while in Makkah or Madina, in Saudi Arabia.

“Who will reactive the cards for them at a time when all focus is on how to carry out hajj rites diligently to attain the utmost reward of hajj mabrur?” IHR asked.

Secondly, the CSO said there are less than 10 ATM machines within Misfala and Shara Mansur areas in Makkah – a place where 90 percent of Nigerian pilgrims are accommodated during Hajj.

IHR said that pilgrims will be made to pay for the ATM Cards and the withdrawal charges which will further deplete their $500 BTA.

There is also the risk of losing the ATM cards, theft and scammers capitalizing on the hectic nature of the hajj exercise to defraud the Pilgrims.

IHR added that with Nigeria on the greylist of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), the tendency is for ATM cards issued by Nigeria to be rejected by a number of vendors outside the shores of the country.

Given the above, IHR therefore appeals to the CBN to exclude Nigerian pilgrims from the BTA on card policy to avoid putting pilgrims in jeopardy.

e-sign

Ibrahim Muhammad

For: Independent Hajj Reporters

5th February 2025

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • CBN
  • CSO
  • IHR
Previous articleNigeria’s Foreign Minister Embarks on Historic Working Visit to Kuwait
Next articleCentre lauds NLC, NCC parley over telcom tariffs
Prnigeria
Prnigeria

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Trump, Ribadu, Saudi Prince and Pete Hegseth

Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince

Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists

VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Nigerian Army

Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up

PRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West Africa

Navy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime Security

Police Service Commission

PSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint Committee

Troops of Nigerian Army after successfully foiling an ambush by Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger State

Seal of the Nigerian Senate

Akpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air Force

Malam Nuhu Ribadu, National Security Adviser, NSA, and Mr. Pete Hengseth, US War Secretary

Tinubu Appoints NSA Ribadu to Lead FG’s Team for US-Nigeria Joint Security Working Group

Army Dislodges Terrorists, Recover 91 Rustled Cattle in Taraba

Recent Posts

  • Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince
  • Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists
  • UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  
  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu's Team and the Saudi PrinceTroops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing TerroristsUNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to RestKano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28mTroops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno OperationsArmy Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-UpPRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West AfricaNavy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime SecurityPSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint CommitteeTroops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger StateAkpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air ForceNigerian Navy Elevates 15 Rear Admirals, 31 Commodores, 81 OthersNAF Promotes 27 AVMs, 30 Air Commodores
X whatsapp