Joint Security Forces Raid Anambra Secessionist Camp, Free Kidnap Victim, Neutralise Four
Security forces in Anambra State have dislodged a major secessionist camp, freed a kidnapped victim, and neutralised four suspected armed men during a joint operation that lasted over 15 hours.
The raid, carried out on Thursday, 21st August 2025, was conducted by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) Awkuzu in collaboration with the Anambra State Vigilante Group (AVG), following credible intelligence on the activities of criminal elements in Awa, Orumba North Local Government Area.
Police spokesman, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed in a statement that the operation dismantled a terror/secessionist enclave where a victim had been held hostage despite his family paying ₦20 million ransom for his release.
“In the fierce gun battle that ensued, four of the criminal elements were neutralised, and the kidnapped victim was rescued alive,” the statement said.
Read Also:
Recovered items from the camp included two pump-action guns, one fabricated AK-47 rifle, one K2 assault rifle, one locally made hunter’s gun, a radio transmission box, three locally made improvised explosive devices (IEDs), two empty gas cylinders, two cable wire rolls, and bags of food supplies.
Security operatives also seized several vehicles, including a black Lexus RX 350 jeep and three Toyota Camry cars with different registration numbers, as well as five mobile phones, sleeping materials, a roll of tarpaulin, and other personal effects.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu, praised the gallantry of the joint security team and reassured Ndi Anambra of the command’s determination to sustain the momentum against criminal elements.
He said follow-up operations were underway to arrest fleeing suspects and destroy other camps still operating in the state.
“The Command remains resolute in its commitment to ensure safety and security across the state. We will continue to work with community-based structures like the Vigilante Group to stamp out insurgents, kidnappers, and secessionist gangs,” CP Orutugu stated.
The Anambra Police Command urged residents to remain vigilant and provide timely intelligence that would assist security agencies in flushing out remnants of criminal gangs threatening the peace of the state.
By PRNigeria