• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Security Unlawful Detention: Dasuki Floors FG at ECOWAS Court
  • Security

Unlawful Detention: Dasuki Floors FG at ECOWAS Court

By
Prnigeria
-
April 11, 2016
Ex-NSA Sambo Dasuki
Ex-NSA Sambo Dasuki

Sambo Dasuki
Sambo Dasuki

The former National Security Adviser (NSA) Col Muhammed Sambo Dasuki (Rtd) triumphed at the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) Court in the first leg of his court action challenging his alleged unlawful arrest and detention without trial since December last year by the federal government.

Against the objection of government, the international court in Abuja today ruled that it has jurisdiction to entertain the suit brought before it by Dasuki for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to liberty and to own property as enshrined in the provisions of the Nigerian 1999 constitution and African Charter on fundamental rights of persons.

In the ruling delivered by Justice Friday Chijoke Nwoke, the ECOWAS court dismissed out-rightly the objection of the government against Dusuki suit on the ground that the objection was misconceived, frivolous and lack merit.

Justice Nwoke in the unanimous ruling of the 3-member panel of the court held that the claim of government that Dasuki’s case emanated from his trial on certain offences was inappropriate and being the basis for his objection to the applicants case in this matter cannot hold water since the relieves sought by Dasuki have nothing to do with the ongoing trial at the domestic courts of Nigeria.

The Justices in their opinion held that the claim of government that Dasuki ought to have filed contempt charge against the Nigerian government for disobeying court orders that admitted him to bail but flouted by the defendant cannot be sustained because the case of applicant is not ambiguous, in that it has no root from any criminal trial in any court.

Justice Nwoke said that at any rate the case of Nigerian government cannot stand in the face of the law because there is no evidence that Dasuki has filed similar pending matter in any international court and that even if he has similar matter in any Nigerian court up to supreme court, such domestic court cannot have the status of international court as envisaged in the treaty in which Nigeria is a signatory.

Read Also:

  • IPRA Endorses National Spokespersons Awards as FG, NUJ Commend PRNigeria Fellowship
  • UNODC Hails Kaduna as National Benchmark for Drug Prevention, Treatment
  • JUST IN: Army Rescues 7 Abducted Victims in Kano Community

“In our opinion, what Dasuki brought before us as a case is an issue for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to liberty and own property and against unlawful arrest, unlawful detention and unlawful seizure of properties without any court order or warrant of arrest.

“From the totality of the issues brought before this court, it is clear and there is no ambiguity that the applicant is seeking enforcement of his right to freedom and not on the issue of his trail for any alleged offence before any Nigerian court”.

Justice Nwoke further said: “therefore, the objection of the government and the request that the case of the applicant in this matter be struck out on the ground of emanating from any criminal matter has no basis, the claims and the request lack merit and hereby dismissed and we declare that the application of Dasuki is admissible to this court”.

The ECOWAS court said that it was not out to decide the issue of whether the applicant is guilty of the charges against him in the Nigerian courts or not but simply to ascertain whether his fundamental rights to liberty having been granted bail in criminal matters and rearrested since last year and kept in an unknown place constitute an abuse of his rights to freedom.

Dasuki through his lawyer, Mr Robert Emukpoeruo and Wale Balogun had dragged the FG before the ECOWAS court to complain that the invasion of his house in Abuja, Kaduna and Sokoto without any court order or warrant of arrest and even seizure of his properties comprising vehicles, money and documents constituted the abuse of his rights to liberty as enshrined in section 36 and 34 of the 1999 constitution and other international laws where Nigeria is a signatory.

Besides, he complained that the invasion of his house by operatives of government without lawful court order traumatised his 94 years old father who received shock and up till now has not recovered from the sickness that followed.

Dasuki therefore asked the ECOWAS court to award N500million compensatory damages in his favour having been denied access to medical attention in abroad as ordered by a Nigerian court since November last year.
The government through its lawyer, Mr Tijani Gazali had objected to Dasuki’s case on the ground that ECOWAS court has no jurisdiction to dabble into the trial of any Nigerian in the Nigerian court and ask the ECOWAS court to strike out Dasuki’s case because it constituted an abuse to the Nigerian courts.

Meanwhile, definite hearing in the matter has been fixed for May 17 and 18, 2016.

By PRNigeria

PRNigeria encourages transparency in information management by institutions.

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • Col Muhammed Sambo Dasuki
  • ECOWAS Court
  • Justice Friday Chijoke Nwoke
Previous articleKashimbilla Dam, Top Priority Project To Be Completed In Water Sector- Water Minister
Next articleMetuh’s Move to Stall Trial Rejected … Ordered to Enter Defence
Prnigeria
Prnigeria
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Guests and Participants at PRNigeria Young Communication FellowshipAbuja

IPRA Endorses National Spokespersons Awards as FG, NUJ Commend PRNigeria Fellowship

UNODC Hails Kaduna as National Benchmark for Drug Prevention, Treatment

JUST IN: Army Rescues 7 Abducted Victims in Kano Community

VIDEO NIGHT OP: How NAF Air Strikes Decimated Terrorist Bases in Katsina and ISWAP on Chibok

Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, Taraba

Muhammed Badaru Abubakar, Minister for Defence

North-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security Blueprint

PHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in Borno

President Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs at Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano

Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7

NAF logo

NAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services

Trump, Ribadu, Saudi Prince and Pete Hegseth

Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince

Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply

Log in to leave a comment

Recent Posts

  • IPRA Endorses National Spokespersons Awards as FG, NUJ Commend PRNigeria Fellowship
  • UNODC Hails Kaduna as National Benchmark for Drug Prevention, Treatment
  • JUST IN: Army Rescues 7 Abducted Victims in Kano Community
  • VIDEO NIGHT OP: How NAF Air Strikes Decimated Terrorist Bases in Katsina and ISWAP on Chibok
  • Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, Taraba
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
IPRA Endorses National Spokespersons Awards as FG, NUJ Commend PRNigeria FellowshipUNODC Hails Kaduna as National Benchmark for Drug Prevention, TreatmentJUST IN: Army Rescues 7 Abducted Victims in Kano CommunityVIDEO NIGHT OP: How NAF Air Strikes Decimated Terrorist Bases in Katsina and ISWAP on ChibokTroops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, TarabaNorth-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security BlueprintPHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in BornoTinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7Fani-Kayode Slams Trump's Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign ConspiracyNo Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education Projects
X whatsapp