NAF Deploys Helicopter, ISR Aircraft to Plateau
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has today, 25 June 2018, deployed an Mi-35P combat helicopter and an Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft to Plateau State in support of efforts aimed at quelling the crisis that recently erupted in the State and restoring normalcy. The deployment of the ISR aircraft is expected to enhance intelligence gathering while the combat helicopter would conduct armed reconnaissance and other combat air support operations in close coordination with surface forces deployed to the State. Meanwhile, other NAF air assets are available at nearby alternate airfields to hasten the process of restoring normalcy in the State, as might be necessary.
While thanking you for your usual cooperation, you are please requested to disseminate the foregoing for the awareness of the general public.
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force
DIG, Police Helicopters, APCs Deployed to Plateau State
The Inspector General of Police, IGP Ibrahim K. Idris, NPM mni, concerned with the recent killings of innocent people in Barkin-Ladi (Gashishi), Riyom, Jos South LGAs and other flash points in the State with the attendant disturbance of public peace, clashes and mayhem that engulfed the affected areas in Plateau State on the 23rd and 24th of June, 2018 which resulted in the loss of several innocent lives, burning of houses and vehicles, and destruction of properties, has promptly deployed since on 24th June, 2018 the Police Special Intervention Force to Plateau State to Restore Lasting Peace in Barkin-Ladi, Riyom, Jos South LGA and other flash points in the State.
2. The intervention is to put an end to the crisis, the Deputy Inspector General of Police; Department of Operations is being relocated on the directive of the IGP to Jos, Plateau State to coordinate and supervise the operations on the ground.
3. Two (2) Police Aerial surveillance Helicopters, Five (5) Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs), Three (3) Police Mobile Force Units (PMF), Two (2) Counter Terrorism Cells (CTU ) and Police Intelligence Unit and conventional Police personnel from other States have been deployed to the affected areas in Plateau State. The Police Aerial surveillance Helicopters and other components of the intervention Force are already in the State. Their arrival in the State has restored peace and prevent further attacks in the affected areas.
4. The IGP has directed the Commissioner of Police in charge IGP monitoring Unit to lead the Police Special investigation Team to the affected areas and other flash points in Plateau State. The investigation Team comprises the Intelligence Response Team ( IRT), the Special Tactical Squad (STS) and the Technical Platforms. The team is to carryout a thorough and discreet investigation into the killings and promptly apprehend those responsible..
5. The Police Special Intervention Force, also includes personnel of Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department (FCIID) , detachment of Police Explosive Ordinance Department (EOD), Police K9 (Sniffer Dogs Section), Conventional Policemen, Special Anti Robbery Squads. The team that have started arriving are already working in synergy with the Plateau State Police Command to ensure that the peace and normalcy restored are sustained in the affected areas and other flash points in Plateau State.
6. To achieve success in this operation, the team will be proactive and strict in the enforcement of its mandates, Police standard operations procedures and rule of engagement will be fully adhered to.
7. The Police Special Intervention Force will ensure the full enforcement of the curfew imposed on the affected areas by the Plateau State Government. The personnel of the Police special Intervention Force will carry out twenty four (24) hours surveillance and patrol, stop and search of vehicles, and suspected locations and hideouts of the assailants . The Team will also engage in continuous raids of identified criminal hideouts and black spots, with a view to arrest promptly those responsible for the killings and nip in the bud and prevent any further attack, attempt to attack or cause any form of violence that can lead to killings and other criminalities in the affected areas.
8. The deployment of the personnel of the Police Special Intervention Force will equally cover communities, towns, villages, vulnerable settlements, Government and private infrastructures and facilities in all the affected areas and other flash points in the State.
9. Traditional rulers, religious leaders, Community Leaders, the Youth Groups, Public office holders, politicians, opinion leaders, parents and guardians are hereby called upon to prevail on their subjects, adherents/followers, children and wards to support the personnel of the Police Special Intervention Force in the discharge of their responsibilities, and implore them to allow Police Investigation and the law to take it full course, and not resort to reprisals and counter attacks.
10. Members of the public in the affected areas, other flash points or in any other location in the State in distress or with information to the Police Special Intervention Force and the investigation team can use the following numbers: 07059473022, 08038907662, 08075391844, and 09053872296
Ag. DCP JIMOH O. MOSHOOD
Force Public Relations Officers
Police Confirm 84 Killed in Plateau
Sequel to the attack in Gashish District of Barkin Ladi LGA yesterday 23/06/2018 , the Commissioner of Police Plateau State Command, Jos CP Undie Adie after deploying more personnel to the District sent a search and rescue team from the Command headquarters today for on the spot assessment .
The team headed by ACP Edeh John of the Department of Operations had also the DPO of Barkin Ladi Division and a Unit Commander from Mopol 38.
After a careful search of the villages attacked in the District the following were discovered
1. Eighty six (86) persons all together were killed
2. Six people injured
3. Fifty (50) house burnt
4. Fifteen (15) motorcycles burnt down
5. Two (2) motor vehicles burnt down
The team also carried out a detailed deployment.
Corpses were released to the families for burial.
The Command earlier in the day confirmed only eleven (11) people dead as the result of the attack due to the information at its disposal then before the arrival of the search and rescue team from Barkin Ladi LGA.
This is to update members of the public of the situation as regards the attack in Gashish District as promised earlier on.
NB. This Press release is from the PPRO, Plateau state Police command as at 8.30pm of Sunday 24th June 2018.
Plateau Killings: Saraki Calls for Quick Response Team
President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to direct his security chiefs to immediately produce quick response measures aimed at tackling the spate of killings in the country.
Saraki, while responding to the killings in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area in which scores of people were murdered in attacks by unknown assailants on some villages, said it is important for Nigerians to start having the assurances that the government is decisively responding to the current threat to lives and properties in parts of the country.
“I am very sad to hear the news of the incident in Plateau State. This is very depressing and giving the impression that the country is not safe. The problem of Boko Haram in the North-east is well known to everybody but this killing by unknown band of assailants in Benue, Taraba, Plateau and Kaduna States is now giving another dimension to the crisis. Coming at the time we are getting ready for elections, we need to respond fast.
“If the plan is to develop some long term measures, we also request that the President should mandate the security chiefs to put forward an immediate short term and quick response measure which will restore confidence in the system and demonstrate to the criminals behind this killings the capacity of government to tackle the issue.
“We have to immediately device a plan through which the criminals behind the killings and their sponsors can be nabbed and made to face the wrath of the law. We have to also develop plans to mop up illegal fire arms in the hands of dangerous elements while also stopping the influx of these arms into the country”, he stated.
The Senate President however commiserated with the people of Barkin Ladi Local Governement Area and the Government of Plateau State over the weekend attack on some of the communities. He prayed for the repose of the deceased and for Almighty God to grant the injured swift recovery.
Special Adviser (Media and Publicity) to the President of the Senate
Dogara Condemns Attack On Plateau Mourners, Calls For Apprehension Of Culprits
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara, has condemned the killing of about 200 people in the Church of Christ In Nations (COCIN) Regional Church Council (RCC) Rop in Barikin Ladi Local Government Area, Plateau State reportedly by suspected armed herdsmen.
Hon Dogara said it was reprehensible that people who gathered to bury their dead would be gruesomely murdered in that manner.
“Our security agencies must rise up to the task of securing the lives of citizens of this country. The attack reportedly lasted from 1:00 p.m. noon of Friday, and lasted till about 8:00 p.m. on Saturday. Where was the Police and other security agencies that they failed to respond to stop the killings?” he queried.
“This further strengthens my constant call for an overhaul of the entire security apparatus of this country. It just isn’t working,” he stated.
He said that rising level of violence and gruesome killings of innocent and hapless citizens poses serious threat to Nigeria’s democracy and must be stopped.
Special Adviser (Media & Public Affairs)
Senator Makarfi Condemns Plateau Calamity
Senator Ahmed Mohammed Makarfi is pained by the news of breakout of violence and resultant loss of lives and properties in Plateau State. The Senator considers this calamity as unfortunate, unnecessary and condemnable.
Senator Makarfi believes that even though disagreements are normal in any human setting the civilised way of resolving such disagreements is by communicating with one another through constant and continuous constructive engagement. The resort to violence has never been known to have led to the resolution of any dispute.
It is Senator Makarfi’s belief and conviction that since even after real war situations, peace and reconciliation terms are eventually discussed and agreed on a round table, violence shouldn’t be an option in the first place.
The Senator hereby appeals to all Nigerians to eschew violence, retrace their steps and return to the good old days when we all related with one another as the brothers and sisters that we have always been. The artificial divisions that are threatening our fabric are alien to us as a people and it is in our enlightened collective interest to throw away the yolk, embrace one another and deploy that diversity with which God has endowed us for the overall development of all of us, so that we bequeath a legacy of unity in diversity for this and upcoming generatios.
Senator Makarfi conveys his most heartfelt condolences to all bereaved families, government and good people of Plateau State, prays for the repose of the dead and speedy recovery for the injured.
Mukhtar Zubairu Sirajo