Nigeria’s Democracy Sliding into Anarchy- Jerry Gana
Nigerians Demands Justice, Fairness, Peace and Security. The severe deterioration and very disheartening level of insecurity in our nation today has reached an intolerable height that calls for a total condemnation by all lovers of peace, security, democracy and harmony.
2. The senseless and incessant butchering of human lives and the attendant destruction of homes and properties of the ordinary citizens of Nigeria, from Plateau, Benue, Nasarawa, Kaduna, Taraba, Adamawa, Zamfara, Kogi, Enugu, Ebonyi, Cross River, States, etc. have gone on for too long, with no concrete plan and clear roadmap to suggest that the federal government has the will and the capacity to resolve these challenges to peace and security. Yet, as our Constitution provides, “the security and welfare of the people is the primary purpose of government” (Section 14 (2b), 1999 Constitution As Amended). This indeed is the bitter truth facing all people of honour and conscience throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The quantum of these despicable bloodletting attacks makes a mockery of the sanctity of human life. This is totally unacceptable and stands vehemently condemned.
3. I hereby join similar voices across the land to call on Mr. President to rise to his moral and constitutional responsibility as the Commander-in-Chief (C-IN-C) to protect Nigerians from these ruthless, inhuman and aggressive attacks against law-abiding citizens. This is his primary responsibility as guaranteed by. The C-in-C must take urgent and decisive steps to put an end to these acts of cruelty and inhumanity. The perpetrators and their sponsors must be arrested, and brought to justice. Surely, this is the essence of the Rule of Law.
4. The citizens of Nigeria deserve full proof guarantee of their safety and security; they seek effective and competent actions to rebuild the confidence that their Leader is capable of defending their citizenship as Nigerians. Mr. President, the buck stops completely on your table. Nigerians expect you to offer the citizens strong assurances backed by concrete actions as a practical demonstration of your sincerity.
5. With the current state of affairs, I fear that our democracy is sliding rapidly into anarchy and hopelessness. As lovers of democracy, we must always be reminded that when truth is absent justice becomes evasive; without justice peace becomes illusive; and without peace genuine democracy becomes impossible. Hence, the nationwide cry for justice, fairness and transparent rule of law, without fear or favour.
6. The security of our people and the safety of our homes cannot be compromised under any guise; be it political, ethnic or religious. The loss of one Nigerian life is a painful loss to all Nigerians.
7. While we mourn the unacceptable deaths of these innocent Nigerians, may I express my deep and sincere condolences to the families, the people and leaders of the affected communities. I pray that their death would ignite a nationwide resolution of never again should precious Nigerian lives be so tragically wasted.
8. May God save Nigeria!!!
Professor Jerry Gana, CON
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
173 days 4 hours 27 minutes 2 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
155 days 6 hours 8 minutes 27 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Spent 88 days from May 30, 2021 - August 26, 2021
Report By: PRNigeria.com