• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Security Again, Another Court Orders Dasuki’s Release on bail… Lambasts FG for Disrespect...
  • Security

Again, Another Court Orders Dasuki’s Release on bail… Lambasts FG for Disrespect to the Rule of Law

By
Prnigeria
-
July 2, 2018
Sambo Dasuki
Sambo Dasuki

Again, Another Court Orders Dasuki’s Release on bail
… Lambasts FG for Nor Respecting Rule of Law

After over two years in the detention of the Department of the State Security Service (DSS), a Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Federal Government to release former National Security Adviser (NSA) Colonel Sambo Dasuki rtd on bail.

The reprieve for Dasuki who was clamped into detention since December 29, 2015 came in the judgement of Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu in the fundamental human right suit filed by the Ex-NSA.

Dasuki who had been granted bail by four different High Courts in Nigeria and ECOWAS Court of Justice, in the suit argued by his counsel, Ahmed Raji, urged the court to compel the Federal Government to obey all court orders for his release from detention.

In the latest judgement, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu ordered that Dasuki be released on bail in the sum of N200million and two sureties in the like sum. The court said that one of the sureties must be a federal government employee with not less than grade level 16 who must submit to the court his letter of appointment and the last letter of his promotion to pave way for the release of Dasuki.

In the event of a private person standing as the surety, the court held that the person must have landed property in Abuja and must submit before the court original of the property and must also swear to the affidavit of means.

Besides, Justice Ojukwu said the surety must deposit N100 million with the registrar of the court and that the money would be returned to the surety at the end of the trial of the former NSA.

Justice Ijeoma also ordered that the surety must submit to the court his recent passport photograph and that his residential address must be varied by the official of the court as part of the bail condition.

In the judgement that lasted over one hour, Justice Ojukwu lambasted the Federal Government for unjustly arresting and detaining a Nigerian citizen for over two years without any justification contrary to the provision of the law.

Read Also:

  • UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  
  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest

The court dismissed the claim of the security agency that Dasuki was being held in protective custody on the strength of the alleged arm and ammunition found in his house. Justice Ijeoma held that although Dasuki in the instance case had been charged to various courts on the issue, the law however presumed that the former NSA is innocent of the charges against him until the contrary is proved beyond reasonable doubt.

The judge agreed with counsel to Dasuki Mr Ahmed Raji that Dasuki never shuns any invitation for interrogation by any of the security agencies adding that from the affidavit evidence of the former NSA, it was cleared that he had been detained since December 2015 without any investigation or interrogation.

The judge also dismissed the claims of the Federal Government that Dasuki was being held on fresh allegations of money laundering, adding that such claims should go to the graveyard because it cannot be used to justify the detention of any Nigerian for as long as over two years without being charged to court on any fresh allegation.

On another claim by the Federal Government that Dasuki was abusing court process by filing multiple cases in court, Justice Ijeoma dismissed the claim for being baseless and frivolous adding that in the instance case parties are different from the previous one and as such the issue of forum-shopping cannot be used against Dasuki.

In the event of any plan to investigate Dasuki, Justice Ojukwu ordered that such investigation must be conducted during working days and that the former NSA must not be detained for whatever reason and also ordered that his travelling passport should remain with the court.
The former NSA had dragged the Federal Government and its agencies before for the enforcement of his fundamental right to liberty claiming that he had been unlawfully detained since December 2015 without being charged top court.

The former NSA demanded the sum of N5billion as exemplary damages for the breach of his fundamental right and the detention without trial for over two years.

Although Justice Ojukwu agreed that the former NSA was illegally, unlawfully and unconstitutionally detained, she, however, did not award any damage against the Federal Government.

Reacting to the judgement, Counsel to Dasuki, Ahmed Raji said that the judge has rekindled the hope of Nigerians in the judiciary and promise that his client would do anything humanly possible to perfect the bail condition within a reasonable time.

By PRNigeria

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • dss
  • Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu
  • NSA
  • sambo dasuki
Previous articleHealth Sector Funding: FG Turns To Rich Nigerians 
Next articlePolice Explain Protest of Mobile Police in Maiduguri
Prnigeria
Prnigeria
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest

CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori of Kano State

Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Nigerian Army

Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up

PRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West Africa

Navy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime Security

Police Service Commission

PSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint Committee

Troops of Nigerian Army after successfully foiling an ambush by Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger State

Seal of the Nigerian Senate

Akpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air Force

the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Idi Abbas

Nigerian Navy Elevates 15 Rear Admirals, 31 Commodores, 81 Others

NAF logo

NAF Promotes 27 AVMs, 30 Air Commodores

LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply

Log in to leave a comment

Recent Posts

  • UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  
  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m
  • Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to RestKano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28mTroops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno OperationsArmy Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-UpPRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West AfricaNavy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime SecurityPSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint CommitteeTroops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger StateAkpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air ForceNigerian Navy Elevates 15 Rear Admirals, 31 Commodores, 81 OthersNAF Promotes 27 AVMs, 30 Air CommodoresCustoms PR Unit Shines at CGC Award Night as Kano/Jigawa Command Clinches Multiple HonoursCustoms, Gambia Revenue Authority Seal AEO Collaboration
X whatsapp