Special Force Detects Location of Missing Aid Workers, Arrests Informants
A special force comprising operatives of intelligence service and the military have detected the location of missing humanitarian aid workers of Action Against Hunger (AAH) who were declared missing after Boko Haram terrorists ambushed their vehicle in Borno State.
An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of special force is being directly coordinated by Major General Biu Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division of the Nigerian Army.
Through the operation, some informants who were divulging information to the terrorists in the axi were arrested.
The source said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrest were made.
“You may recall that the terrorists had attacked the convoy of the humanitarian workers last Thursday (July 18, 2019) at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar local government area along on their way to provide life-saving assistance to individuals and families, affected by the humanitarian crisis.
“Unfortunately the driver named Kashim Ritam was killed while his vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA was damaged at Zari village less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town. Some of the missing staff are Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu, Mohammed Abba Gana.”
Biu to Boko Haram: it’s time to surrender and allow peace reign
Bulama Biu, the General Officer Commanding 7 Div, Nigerian Army, has renewed call to Boko Haram insurgents to surrender their arms.
Biu made the call at a feast organized in his honour on Saturday at the Command Guest House Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri.
President Muhammad Buhari had last week approved accelerated promotion of Biu and other officers in view of their contributions in the counter-insurgency campaign.
It will be recalled that about two million people had been displaced and several thousand killed since the beginning insurgency in 2009.
Biu noted that the 10-year long insurgency inflicted colossal damage on lives and property, and therefore urged the insurgents to avail themselves the opportunities of the amnesty programme initiated by the Federal Government under the “Operation Safe Corridor”.
“You still have the opportunity to lay down your arms; the time to surrender is now, to enable you rejoin the society,” he said.
Biu warned that if the insurgents continued with their offensive, the military was ready to crush them.
While commending the troops for their gallantry and sacrifices, Biu reiterated the commitments of the military to end insurgency and restore peace to the war region.
He thanked President Muhammad Bulgari over his elevation to the rank of a Major General, as well as Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, over the conferment of COAS Award of Excellence on him.
The commander also lauded Borno State Government, security agencies and other stakeholders over their support to the counter insurgency operation.
Maj.-Gen. Benson Akinroluyo, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, commended Biu for his commitments, effective leadership qualities and professionalism in the fight against insurgency.
Akinroluyo described Biu as a man who “commands his troops from the front line’ and not from the rear”.
Also, Gov. Umara Zulum, lauded the military over the successes recorded in the counter insurgency operation.
Represented by his deputy, Alhaji Umar Kadafur, the governor pledged support to the military operations to restore of peace in the state.