• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Security No Lekki Tollgate Victims for Mass Burial of EndSARS Bodies in Lagos-...
  • Security

No Lekki Tollgate Victims for Mass Burial of EndSARS Bodies in Lagos- Official

By
Prnigeria
-
July 24, 2023
Endsars violence Police Station on Fire
EndSARS Violence Police Station on Fire

No Lekki Tollgate Victims for Mass Burial of EndSARS Bodies in Lagos- Official

After three years, Lagos State Government on Sunday confirmed that it has prepared the bodies of 103 #EndSARS protest victims for mass burial.

The permanent secretary in the ministry of health Olusegun Ogboye in a statement, however, stated that none of the bodies were retrieved from the Lekki tollgate.

“For the records, the Lagos State Environmental Health Unit picked up bodies in the aftermath of #EndSARS violence and community clashes at Fagba, Ketu, Ikorodu, Orile, Ajegunle, Abule-Egba, Ikeja, Ojota, Ekoro, Ogba, Isolo and Ajah areas of Lagos state,” Ogboye said.

“There was also a jailbreak at Ikoyi Prison. The 103 casualties mentioned in the document were from these incidents and NOT from Lekki Toll-gate as being alleged. For the avoidance of doubt, no body was retrieved from the Lekki Toll Gate incident.”

Ogboye’s statement was in response to media reports citing a letter for the approval of funds for a mass burial for victims of #EndSARS protest in 2020.

The letter dated July 19 by the public procurement agency disclosed that the state government engaged the service of Messrs Tos Funeral Ltd, a private firm, at the cost of N61,285,000 to bury 103 bodies that were identified as victims of the killings.

However, Ogboye said the content of the letter was being deliberately misinterpreted and sensationalized “to misinform the public, stir public sentiment and cause public disaffection against the Lagos State Government.”

Read Also:

  • Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, Taraba
  • North-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security Blueprint
  • PHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in Borno

He explained that the mass burial was being held because “nobody responded to claim any of the bodies” after the Chief Coroner through adverts invited members of the public who had lost loved ones or whose relatives had been declared missing between 19th and 27th October 2020.

“However, after almost three years, the bodies remain unclaimed, adding to the congestion of the morgues. This spurred the need to decongest the morgues – a procedure that follows very careful medical and legal guidelines in the event that a relative may still turn up to claim a lost relative years after the incident,” Ogboye said.

“Decongestion of our public morgues is a periodic and regular exercise approved by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to free up space in mortuaries that have a large number of unclaimed bodies.”

The EndSARS protest was a mass demonstration of Nigerians youths against police brutality and social injustice at different cities for about three weeks in October 2020.

While the protests held in different locations, Lagos State, particularly, the Lekki Tollgate was the melting point for the protesters who ate, drank, prayed and sang the Nigerian national anthem for days and nights until Tuesday, October 20, 2020 when Nigerian forces stormed the location and fired gunshots to disperse the protest.

The Nigerian Army said its personnel did not fire live bullets at the protesters. But a judicial panel set up by the Lagos State government said that “the manner of assault and killing could in context be described as a massacre.”

Lagos State governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on the morning after blamed forces beyond ‘direct control’ for Lekki shooting.

By PRNigeria

 

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • ENDSARS
  • Lagos
  • tollgate
Previous articlePolice Boss: Gov Dapo Extols Egbetokun’s Exemplary Leadership
Next articleNIPR Releases Guidelines for 2023 National Council Elections
Prnigeria
Prnigeria
https://prnigeria.com/

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, Taraba

Muhammed Badaru Abubakar, Minister for Defence

North-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security Blueprint

PHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in Borno

President Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs at Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano

Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7

Picture of Trump and Femi Fani Kayode

Fani-Kayode Slams Trump’s Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign Conspiracy

No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah

How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate

Kanu of IPOB Arrested

SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria

AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin

Ilorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education Projects

IMPR's Founder and Editor-in-Chief of PRNigeria, Alhaji Yashau Shuaib (right), the DG of NAN, Ali M. Ali (making a presentation to one of the new PRNigeria Communication Fellows), and the President of NUJ, Alhassan Yahya (left) in a group photo at the event.

FG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication Fellows

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate Confirmation

NAF logo

NAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services

Recent Posts

  • Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, Taraba
  • North-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security Blueprint
  • PHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in Borno
  • Tinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7
  • Fani-Kayode Slams Trump’s Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign Conspiracy
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
Troops Eliminate 4 Armed Militia, Recover Weapons  in Karim Lamido, TarabaNorth-West Summit: Badaru Unveils Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Security BlueprintPHOTO: Army Rescues 12 Teenage Girls Abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP in BornoTinubu Commissions 1,187 ASPs as Nigeria Police Academy Graduates Regular Course 7Fani-Kayode Slams Trump's Nigeria Comments, Alleges Foreign ConspiracyNo Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education ProjectsFG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication FellowsBREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate ConfirmationTinubu Appoints Mahmud, Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Others as AmbassadorsNAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services
X whatsapp