DHQ Dismisses Claims of Terrorist Base in South-West After Oyo School Attack
The Defence Headquarters has dismissed claims that terrorists have established a permanent operational base in Nigeria’s South-West region following the recent abduction of pupils and staff in parts of Oyo State, insisting that the incident does not reflect an entrenched insurgent presence in the zone.
The military, however, assured Nigerians that troops were actively pursuing the perpetrators of the attack and intensifying search-and-rescue operations to secure the safe return of all abducted victims.
The clarification comes amid growing public concerns and media reports suggesting that terrorist elements may have gained a foothold in the South-West after the attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele, and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, expressed sympathy to the families of victims, the government and people of Oyo State, describing the abduction of innocent children and school staff as “callous and reprehensible.”
The CDS said the Armed Forces remained fully committed to ensuring the safe and unconditional return of the victims.
“General Oluyede describes the abduction of innocent children and staff as a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian and assures grieving families that the full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.
Read Also:
Addressing reports of a possible terrorist base in the South-West, the Defence Headquarters stressed that intelligence assessments do not support claims of an organised or permanent terrorist structure operating within forests and hinterlands in the region.
According to the military, the Oyo incident was an isolated criminal act and should not be interpreted as evidence of an insurgent foothold in the zone.
“The incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor,” the DHQ stated.
The military warned against narratives capable of creating panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups.
“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities,” it added.
The DHQ further disclosed that troops currently deployed in forest corridors had already made contact with the criminal elements two days ago and were continuing pursuit operations.
It said security forces, in collaboration with other agencies and local vigilantes, were carrying out intensive operations across forested and ungoverned spaces while also relying on community intelligence to support rescue efforts.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South-West and indeed all of Nigeria,” the statement added.
By PRNigeria















