• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Anti-Corruption Metuh’s Move to Stall Trial Rejected … Ordered to Enter Defence
  • Anti-Corruption

Metuh’s Move to Stall Trial Rejected … Ordered to Enter Defence

By
Wilson Uwujaren
-
April 11, 2016
Olisa-Metuh-200The National spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Monday April 11, 2016, again attempted to throw another spanner in the wheel of justice at his ongoing trial before Justice E. O Abang of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on the seven count charge preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Metuh who is being prosecuted alongside his company, Destra Investments Limited for the alleged N400m fraud, had earlier on Friday April 8, 2016, met a brick wall in his attempt to stall his trial.
Metuh brought a new counsel Tochukwu Onwugbufor, SAN, to represent his company, Destra Investment Limited. The counsel, had through an application sought for an adjournment to enable him formalize his appearance as he needed to be properly briefed by the former counsel, Emeka Etiaba, SAN.
Justice Abang however dismissed the application saying it was “not deserving” and adjourned to April 11, 2016 for the defence to open their case.
At the resumed hearing today, the new counsel to the 2nd defendant (Destra Investment Limited), Onwugbufor, SAN, again renewed his application for adjournment to enable him go through the previous proceedings in order to prepare for defence.
“My application is based on the provisions of Section 36 (6) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which gives the defendant the right to fair hearing. My lord, we are incapacitated to continue with this trial unless we are given facilities and time to prepare for trial”, Onwugbufor argued.
Counsel to the 1st defendant, Emeka Etiaba, SAN, also aligned himself with Onwugbufor’s submission though he said the first defendant (Metuh) is ready with his witness to open his defence.
Responding, counsel to the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir, prayed the court to discountenance Onwugbufor’s application, adding that the notice is not formal and that there is no difference between the instant application and the one that had been decided on Friday.
Justice Abang after listening to the submissions of both counsel ordered the 1st defendant to open his defence.
The defence witness (DW1), Ik Abugu, a media consultant in his testimony, told the court how he was contracted by Metuh to work with him to rebrand the PDP and the image of then President Goodluck Jonathan.
He further told the court that, he attended a meeting with Metuh at the presidential villa where he made a presentation on the strategies for the rebranding of the party and Metuh was asked by the president to supply his account details for payment.
Justice Abang thereafter adjourned to April 20, 2016 for further hearing.
Wilson Uwujaren
Head, Media & Publicity
VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • National spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party
Previous articleUnlawful Detention: Dasuki Floors FG at ECOWAS Court
Next articleEFCC Arraigns Man for Attempting to Steal N7m
Wilson Uwujaren
Wilson Uwujaren
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Cyril Ndifon

UNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  

ICPC

Court Dismisses Fresh Suit Against ICPC, Affirms Commission’s Power to Freeze Accounts

ICPC

ICPC Deepens Strategic Partnerships as UNODC, FRSC Hail Commission’s Anti-Corruption Reforms

EFCC Witness Defends Kogi Government Fund Withdrawals

ICPC

ICPC Secures Conviction of Retired Deputy Director, Arraigns Woman for Visa Fraud

Lawmakers Move to Limit President’s Power Over EFCC Chairman’s Removal

EFCC

In 2 Years, EFCC Recovered N566bn, $411m, 1,502 Properties — Olukoyede

ICPC Generates Record N1.86 Billion from 2024 Asset Disposal

ICPC, EFCC, CCB Partner on Commonwealth Anti-Corruption Research Initiative

ICPC), Dr Musa Adamu Aliyu, SAN

ICPC Chairman Advocates Speed, Consistency in Handling Corruption Cases

Court Admits Samuel Aruwan’s Statement in ICPC’s Money Laundering Case Against Ex-El-Rufai Aide

NAHCON

Renewed Hope in Hajj Operations: NAHCON Records Milestone Achievements Under Tinubu Administration

LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply

Log in to leave a comment

Recent Posts

  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria
  • Muslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger State
  • VP Shettima: Education is Nigeria’s “Immune System,” Declares Commitment to Increased Funding
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education ProjectsFG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication FellowsBREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate ConfirmationTinubu Appoints Mahmud, Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Others as AmbassadorsNAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health ServicesGenocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu's Team and the Saudi PrinceTroops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing TerroristsUNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
X whatsapp