Twenty-three (23) senior officers of the Nigeria Customs service have been sanctioned for various offenses in the first two months of 2015.
- 12 of the officers were suspended from service pending the outcome of investigations while 11 others are currently facing investigative panels set up by the Comptroller General of Customs, Dikko Inde Abdullahi.
- Among those suspended are 3 Assistant Superintendent of Customs implicated in a case of extortion at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja. The officers attached to the Currency Declaration desk at the airport got into trouble for allegedly extorting the sum of 13,000 USD during the outward clearance of a passenger on
Emirates Airline flight.
- Two others, also Assistant Superintendent serving in Seme Command are suspended from Customs for alleged Rape, an offense said to have been committed in Badagry area of Lagos.
- Comptroller General of Customs, Dikko Inde Abdullahi expressed regrets that the involvement of young officers recently recruited into the Service in various illegal acts is worrisome. He warned that the Service will not tolerate such officers, noting that the machinery for investigations in the service will be strengthened to punish erring officers.
- Mid-level management officers serving in the Ports were also affected in the recent action as 5 Assistant Comptrollers of Customs serving in Tin Can Island Port are among those suspended from service for improper release of seizures.
- 5 others including a Deputy Comptroller serving in Apapa Port have appeared at the investigative panel for Negligence and improper examination of containers. The outstanding six Officers were made to appear before the same panel for offenses ranges from hacking of passwords, falsification of academics certificates, Negligence and general indiscipline.
- The Comptroller General said the Service will go after Officers operating illegal check points. He acknowledged persistent complaint he has received on some route particularly around Kogi, Ondo and Edo State. He assured Motorist that special units of his office will conduct special surveillance operation to apprehend the culprit. He warned that, Officers operating such illegal check points will be severely punished.
Public Relations Officer
For: Comptroller General of Customs.
PRNigeria encourages institutions to be transparent in their information management as it provides news items from authoritative sources for free use by the media
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
372 days 19 hours 2 minutes 2 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
354 days 20 hours 43 minutes 27 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com