The permanent Secretary, Ministry of Aviation; Hajiya Binta Bello has said that the establishment of a National Carrier is a priority of the government.
The permanent Secretary said this today in Abuja when she received the report of the Committee on Establishment of a National Carrier which was inaugurated by her on 24th August, 2015.
Receiving the report, Binta Bello assured the Committee that the recommendations will be critically looked into by the ministry who will make its recommendations to the President for his considerations and approval for implementation by the government. She appreciated the Committee members for their commitment toward the assignment, saying they completed it within the time frame.
The Chairman of the Committee, Mohammed Abdulsalam while delivering the report of the Committee to the Permanent Secretary earlier, said that they consulted comprehensively with a total of 74 stakeholders , ranging from airline operators to aviation agencies, service provider, financial consultants, institutional investors, aircraft and parts suppliers, former staff of Nigeria Airways ltd, maintenance Repair Organisation developers, aerodrome designers/builders , Aviation staff unions among others.
The Chairman added that the acceptance of the recommendations made by the committee by the authority will impact positively on the aviation industry in Nigeria which will translate into better service delivery and safer operations.
Continuing, Mohammed Abdulsalam said the report apart from employing consultation strategy, also employed the system thinking Paradigm as a pictorial analysis tool for understanding the inherent dynamics and complexities for establishing a National Carriers.
The Committee Chairman concluded by appreciating the ministry of Aviation for the opportunity she gave to the Committee to carry out the all important National assignment.
The Committee on Establishment of a National Carrier was inaugurated in August by the Permanent Secretary, Hajiya Binta Bello, with the following Terms of Reference:
1. To review previous Consultants’ submissions and recommendations on a National Carrier
2. To invite submissions from the Asset Management Corporation Of Nigeria(AMCON) on the debt profile of the domestic airlines
3. To consult widely with stakeholders on establishment of a National Carrier
4. To review the Report of the failure of Nigeria Airways and other Private Airlines
5. To consult with interested International Partners on setting up a National Carrier on Public Private Partnership (PPP)basis
6. To develop the best (optimum) model for a National Carrier for Nigeria; and
7. To consider any other matter incidental to any of the above terms.
IYOGUN ASOBUMEH SUNDAY
PRINCIPAL INFORMATION OFFICER
FOR: AD (PRESS)
MINISTRY OF AVIATION