TEXT OF A WORLD PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED BY THE MINISTER OF INFORMATION AND CULTURE, ALHAJI LAI MOHAMMED, ON THE RELEASE OF 21 CHIBOK GIRLS, ON THURSDAY, OCT. 13TH 2016, AT THE OBASANJO HALL, FEDERAL SECRETARIAT, ABUJA.
Gentlemen of the press, good afternoon. We have called this press conference at a very short notice to brief you on the latest development in the saga of the abducted Chibok Girls.
2. We can confirm that 21 of the girls were released, safely, to us by 5.30 this Thursday morning and they were flown to Kaduna from the location of their release. This is the most glaring manifestation to date of the unwavering commitment of Mr. President to secure the safe release of the girls and reunite them with their families. It is also a result of the round-the-clock efforts by the Administration to put a closure to the sad issue of the kidnap of the girls.
3. We expect the released girls to land in Abuja shortly. Ahead of their arrival, we have assembled a team of medical doctors, psychologists, social workers, trauma experts, etc to properly examine the girls, especially because they have been in captivity for so long. They will also be adequately debriefed. We have the list of the 21 girls but we are now contacting their parents as part of the necessary verification exercise. As soon as that is concluded, we will release the names to the public.
4. Gentlemen, as we have always said, we have been working on the safe release of the girls and following all the leads available. In this instance, the moment we had a credible lead, Mr President gave the green-light to the DSS to pursue it. We can confirm that the DSS pursued the lead in collaboration with a friendly European country and a renowned international humanitarian organization. The DSS was supported by the military.
5. As soon as the necessary confidence was built on both sides, the parties agreed on the date and the location of the release of the 21 girls. Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides.
6. We see this as a credible first step in the eventual release of all the Chibok Girls in captivity. It is also a major step in confidence-building between us as a government and the Boko Haram leadership on the issue of the Chibok Girls.
7. We want to thank all Nigerians for their support and for never losing confidence in the ability of Mr. President to secure the safe release of our Chibok Girls.
8. Gentlemen of the press, I thank you all for your kind attention
SA to Hon Minister of Information and Culture
Oct. 13th 2016
PRNigeria encourages institutions to be transparent in their information management as it provides news items from authoritative sources for free use by the media
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
596 days 13 hours 52 minutes 45 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
578 days 15 hours 34 minutes 10 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com