Police Didnt Attack 98 Year Old Woman in Anambra with AK-47
-The report was totally false and misleading.
The attention of the Anambra State Police Command has been drawn to online media reports that “Policemen attached to the Command Special Anti robbery Squad have allegedly beaten up a 98-years old Woman Cecilia Okpalaku of Achina in Aguata LGA of Anambra State,and assaulted her with Ak-47 rifle over a family dispute”.The publication is not only false but totally misleading.
2. The real fact in issue was that on the 19/8/2019 the Commissioner of Police recieved a formal complaint from a legal practitioner that his client one Esther Nzekwe was assaulted by her fiancee one Emeka Okpalaku and that the man also confiscated her credentials including her NYSC call up letter in order to prevent her from reporting to NYSC camp which dateline closes on the 20/8/2019.
3. The complainant further alleged that the suspect was planning to travel back to Japan where he based.
4. Following the petition, the Commissioner of Police CP John B.Abang ordered for a full scale investigation into the matter.Police detectives visited the house to invite the suspect but as soon as he sighted the Police, he quickly ran inside the house and locked all the entrances.
5. All efforts by the Police to prevail on the suspect to open the doors proved abortive until the police used power of ingress in accordance with section 7(1&2) CPA laws of the Federation to gain access into the house but the suspect eventually escaped.
6. Consequently, the Police equally rescued a one year old daughter of the complainant who was equally locked inside the house and left crying without care.
7. Till date the suspect is still on the run and has not return the credentials he forcefully collected from the lady while investigation is still ongoing.
8. The Command is wondering why the very person who allegedly assaulted a woman and deprived her from participating in the National Youth Service will be the very person spreading falsehood that police assaulted a 98 year old woman using AK-47 rifle which was totally false and unfounded.
9. Inview of the foregoing, the Public are enjoined to ignore such publications which is aimed at raising false alarm and casting aspersions against the Force in order to divert attention from the real facts in issue.
SP Haruna Mohammed PPRO Anambra State Police Command,
For -Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command