• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Government Defence Minister Proposes Budget of N340bn for 2021 Fiscal Year
  • Government
  • Security

Defence Minister Proposes Budget of N340bn for 2021 Fiscal Year

By
Mohammad Abdulkadri
-
November 3, 2020
Former Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd)
Former Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd)

Defence Minister Proposes Budget of N340bn for 2021 Fiscal Year

The Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has presented and defended the Ministry of Defence budget proposal of Three hundred and forty billion, three hundred and fifteen million, three hundred and fifty nine thousand, two hundred and fifty five naira ninety five kobo.(N340,315,359,255.95) for the 2021 fiscal year.

The Minister made the presentation before the 9 man Senator Aliyu Wamako led Senate Committee on Defence at the National Assembly Complex Abuja.

General Magashi who was supported by the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Defence, Hussaini Babangida said the budget is based on the 2020-2023 Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) as well as anchored on providing adequate security through strengthening the Tri-Services and other institutions under the Ministry to enable them perform their roles with all the necessary requirements.

While giving a breakdown of the budget proposal he explained that two billion, seventy six million, four hundred and nine thousand, eight hundred and forty four naira (N2,076,409,844.00) is proposed under the main overhead cost of the Ministry of Defence for the year out of which the sum of One billion five hundred and twenty million (N1,520,000,000.00) is for the Brigade of Guards. Additionally ,the sum of five hundred and fifty six million, four hundred and nine thousand eight hundred and four naira (N556,409,844.00) is for its regular overhead expenditure to arrive at the grand total of three hundred and forty billion, three hundred and fifteen million, three hundred and fifty nine thousand two hundred and fifty five naira ninety five. kobo( N340,315,359,255.95).

Read Also:

  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria

On Critical Capital Projects to be executed by the Ministry in the 2021 fiscal year,he said in addition to the on-going projects there are other Special projects approved by Mr President which include acquisition of Defence Equipment on government to government basis in the sum of $692,968,573.00 out of which 30% was released by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.

According to the Defence Minister, the Ministry is mandated by the President to execute a stalled contract put at USD269,734,420.50 for the delivery of seven hundred (700) Troops Carrying Vehicles and fifty (50) buses awarded since 2014 by the Office of the National Security Adviser.

Retrospectively, the Minister in a 5 paged 2021 budget proposal had earlier summarised the 2020 budget performance as at 26th October which revealed that 88% of the Overhead was utilised while the total Expenditure for Capital utilised stands at 16% owing to what he blamed on four causative challenges. They include, the general effects of Covid-19 pandemic, paucity of funds, late releases of Capital funds and bureaucratic bottleneck associated with procurement process.

While appealing for favourable consideration of the budget proposal by the Senate Committee on Defence, General Magashi said the Ministry under his watch is committed to actualising its core mandate of providing adequate security for a peaceful, stable, secured and united Nigeria.

Responding to questions raised by some members of the Committee who observed that the budget proposal for the Overhead and Capital Projects are low, the Minister said procurement which should be entirely the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence is in the purview and pursuit of the Services.

The Chairman Senate Committee on Defence Aliyu Wamako while assuring the Minister of Defence that the Ministry’s budget proposal will undergo the usual thorough examination by members of the Committee with a view to doing justice to it, he gave an ikling for possible upward review of the total estimates.

Signed
Mohammad Abdulkadri,
Special Assistant to the Minister of Defence on Media and Publicity

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • Bashir Salihi Magashi
  • Defence Minister
Previous articleEndSARS: Lagos Govt to Rebuild Police Stations, Offer Scholarships to children of the officers killed
Next articleOp Fire Ball: Nigerian Troops Eliminate 75 Boko Haram Fighters, Capture Battle Trucks, Anti-Aircraft guns
Mohammad Abdulkadri
Mohammad Abdulkadri
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

IMPR's Founder and Editor-in-Chief of PRNigeria, Alhaji Yashau Shuaib (right), the DG of NAN, Ali M. Ali (making a presentation to one of the new PRNigeria Communication Fellows), and the President of NUJ, Alhassan Yahya (left) in a group photo at the event.

FG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication Fellows

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate Confirmation

NAF logo

NAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services

Trump, Ribadu, Saudi Prince and Pete Hegseth

Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince

Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori of Kano State

Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Nigerian Army

Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up

Navy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime Security

Police Service Commission

PSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint Committee

Troops of Nigerian Army after successfully foiling an ambush by Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger State

Recent Posts

  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria
  • Muslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger State
  • VP Shettima: Education is Nigeria’s “Immune System,” Declares Commitment to Increased Funding
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education ProjectsFG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication FellowsBREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate ConfirmationTinubu Appoints Mahmud, Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Others as AmbassadorsNAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health ServicesGenocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu's Team and the Saudi PrinceTroops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing TerroristsUNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
X whatsapp