• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Government Buhari NASS Summon: Outside Constitutional Bounds,Says Malami
  • Government

Buhari NASS Summon: Outside Constitutional Bounds,Says Malami

By
Modupe Ogundoro
-
December 9, 2020
Abubakar Malami, SAN, Minister of Justice
Abubakar Malami, SAN, Minister of Justice

Buhari NASS Summon: Outside Constitutional Bounds,Says Malami

The Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN has said that the right of the President to engage the National Assembly and appear before it is inherently discretionary in the President and not at the behest of the National Assembly.

This was made known in a statement issued and signed by the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, on Wednesday 9th December, 2020.

The HAGF explained that the National Assembly has no Constitutional Power to envisage or contemplate a situation where the President would be summoned by the National Assembly on operational use of the Armed Forces.

Malami maintained that the confidentiality of strategies employed by the President as the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is not open for public exposure in view of security implications in probable undermining of the war against terror.

He noted that President Muhamamdu Buhari has recorded tremendous success in containing the hitherto incessant bombing, colossal killings, wanton destruction of lives and property that bedeviled the country before attaining the helm of affairs of the country in 2015.

Read Also:

  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m

According to Malami, “the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari was instrumental to the reclaiming of over 14 Local Governments previously controlled by the Boko Haram in North East is an open secret, the strategies for such achievement are not open for public expose”.

While condoling the bereaved and sympathizing with the victims of the associated insecurity in the country, Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN maintained that national security is not about publicity and the nation’s security architecture cannot be exposed for the sake of getting publicity.

He stated the President has enjoyed Constitutional privileges attached to the Office of the President including exclusivity and confidentiality investiture in security operational matters, which remains sacrosanct.

  “The right of the President to engage the National Assembly and appear before it is inherently discretionary in the President and not at the behest of the National Assembly”, he emphasized.

The management and control of the security sector is exclusively vested in the President by Section 218 (1) of the Constitution as the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces including the power to determine the operational use of the Armed Forces. An invitation that seeks to put the operational use of the Armed Forces to a public interrogation is indeed taking the constitutional rights of law making beyond bounds.

As the Commander in Chief, the President has exclusivity on security and has confidentiality over security.. These powers and rights he does not share. So, by summoning the President on National Security operational Matters, the House of Representative operated outside constitutional bounds. President’s exclusivity of constitutional confidentiality investiture within the context of the constitution remains sacrosanct.

Modupe Ogundoro

Deputy Director

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • buhari
  • Constitutional Bounds
  • Malami
  • NASS
Previous articleFrench Envoy, Stakeholders Decry “Escalating” Banditry, Food Insecurity
Next articleGITEX 2020: NITDA, Tech Experts advocate Blockchain Technology for Healthcare
Modupe Ogundoro
Modupe Ogundoro
Xing

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Nigeria Has Lost a Moral Compass – Tinubu Mourns Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi

Nigeria, Qatar Strengthen Partnership to Transform Almajiri and Out-of-School Education

Nigeria, Qatar Strengthen Partnership to Transform Almajiri and Out-of-School Education

Hon Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris fnipr appreciating the letter conveying Nigeria's selection as the approved host for the 2026 World Public Relations Forum. with him is the President of the Nigeria Institute of Public Relations, Dr. Ike Neliaku

FG, Zamfara Governor to NIPR: Lead the Charge for a Rebranded Nigeria

Mass Communication

The True Cost of Poor Political Communication in Nigeria

Malam Nuhu Ribadu, National Security Adviser, NSA, and Mr. Pete Hengseth, US War Secretary

US Pledges Stronger Intelligence, Military Support for Nigeria to Tackle Insecurity

Chinese Democracy for Nigeria

Defection: Is Nigeria Sliding into Chinese Democracy?

Mr. Fredrick Nwabufo

Don’t make case for criminals, Tinubu’s Aide Warns Nigerians

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris,

Information Minister: Foreign Misinformation Won’t Divide Nigeria

Tinubu Approves Redeployment of 16 Perm Secs

ICPC

ICPC Deepens Strategic Partnerships as UNODC, FRSC Hail Commission’s Anti-Corruption Reforms

Mohammed Idris Malagi, Honorable Minister of Information and National Orientation

Federal Govt Launches Manhunt for Kebbi School Attackers

Bello Mohammed Matawalle, Minister of State for Defence

FG Condemns Attack on Kebbi Schoolgirls, Orders Immediate Rescue Operation

Recent Posts

  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m
  • Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations
  • Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to RestKano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28mTroops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno OperationsArmy Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-UpPRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West AfricaNavy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime SecurityPSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint CommitteeTroops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger StateAkpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air ForceNigerian Navy Elevates 15 Rear Admirals, 31 Commodores, 81 OthersNAF Promotes 27 AVMs, 30 Air CommodoresCustoms PR Unit Shines at CGC Award Night as Kano/Jigawa Command Clinches Multiple HonoursCustoms, Gambia Revenue Authority Seal AEO CollaborationKano Police Deploys Additional Operatives to Secure Communities, Schools
X whatsapp