Nigerian Troops Didnt Kill a Biker in Kaduna- Spokesperson
1. The attention of the 1 Division Nigerian Army (NA) has been drawn to an allegation of murder case against troops deployed along Kaduna – Abuja Highway by Major Mohammed Isah Tafoki (Rtd). The fact of the matter is that, on Sunday 6 January 2019, the troops received a distress call that Five (5) Bajaj Motorcycles without registered plate numbers were heading towards their location with fifteen (15) passengers (Three on each motorcycle). The troops immediately mounted a snap checkpoint at a Filling station near Sabon Gayan town. At about 1630hrs (4:30pm), the soldiers apprehended the suspected bike riders. They were thoroughly searched and subsequently released as no incriminating objects or substances were found against them.
2. When Major Isah (Rtd) laid complaint, an investigation was promptly conducted. The soldiers at the check point were paraded for identification, during which his witness identified the soldiers who conducted the search on the 15 bike riders at the filling station. Their rifles were checked and nothing unusual was detected, since their rifles were not used for firing. The supposedly witness, who was also said to be on bike with the alleged dead person, was expected to have sustained injuries, having fell off a fast moving bike, however no bruises or wounds were found on his body. Moreover, the bike allegedly involved was not presented for inspection at the time of the investigation.
3. It is instructive to note that, our troops maintain synergy of efforts with other security agencies to keep vigilance along the Kaduna – Abuja highway. Hence any encounter which might have resulted in exchange of fire with adversary or against suspects would definitely attract the attention of other security agencies. The other security agency deployed in Sabon Gayan town was approached to ascertain the veracity of this claim. During the investigation, Inspector Mohammed of the Sabon Gayan Police Post was contacted. He averred that he neither heard nor witnessed any firing in his area on that day. Also, Major Isah (Rtd) could not mention the person who told him the corpse of his nephew was deposited at Sabon Wuse Hospital, that showed the disconnect in his statement.
4. Major Isah (Rtd) should have known that, troops could not just open fire on the bike riders who willingly obeyed the soldiers’ orders for Stop and Search. He should have equally known (Being a retired military officer) that, the NA troops are conversant with the application of Rules of Engagement and Code of conduct while deployed on operations or training exercises. Therefore, these professionally trained soldiers would not have engaged in such alleged unsubstantiated accusation of murder of a bike rider. Please find attached here with the picture of 15 bike riders that were screened and released.
5. It is therefore to be noted that HQ 1 Division NA refutes the allegation of murder against its troops deployed along Kaduna – Abuja Highway.
Colonel Muhammad Dole
Army Public Relations
1 Division Nigerian Army
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
92 days 5 hours 45 minutes 50 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
74 days 7 hours 27 minutes 15 seconds
Report By: PRNigeria.com