Katsina State: Police Nab 1907 Criminals, Handles 1,519 cases
On assumption of duty ten months ago, I assured the good of people of Katsina state of their safety, peace and security. And to a greater extent the Command has been recording tremendous successes in the fight against the menace of cattle rustling, armed robbery, kidnapping, banditry and other forms of criminality especially in the most affected eight frontline Local Government Areas of Katsina state.
2. The launching and inaugural take up of “Operation Puff Adder” by the Inspector General of Police, IGP Muhammed Adamu Abubakar, NPM, mni, on 8th April, 2019 at Batsari LGA of Katsina state witnessed massive deployment of personnel and equipment in the frontline areas leading to massive raids and several arrests of suspected bandits from their criminal hideouts and recovery of large catch of arms and ammunition.
3. Let me quickly appreciate the effort of the State Government under the leadership of His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Aminu Bello Masari, CFR FNIM, the Executive Governor of Katsina state for initiating and leading the peace – dialogue process between farmers and herders in the state. This giant stride has by no means brought about peace in the affected communities.
4. I will like to also commend the concerted efforts of all officers and men of the Command for their total commitment towards protection of lives and property as well as ensuring public safety and order in the state. Let me also pay tributes to our gallant officers who have paid the supreme prize in the line of duty. May their souls rest in perfect peace and may the Lord Almighty grant their families the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. Also those who suffered different degrees of injuries in the cause of this campaign may God Almighty restores their health to normalcy.
5. Notwithstanding the achievements, more still need to be done next year which starts tomorrow. It is absolutely imperative to warn that unrepentant bandits and their collaborators or informers should either accept the peace initiative of the Government or be dealt with according to extant laws of the land.
6. So far, the Command has recorded the following achievements in the year under review:
A total number of one thousand, nine hundred and seven (1,907) suspected criminals were arrested in connection with one thousand, five hundred and nineteen (1,519) reported cases. While a total number of one thousand, two hundred and fifty-six (1,256) arrested suspects are undergoing prosecution in various competent Courts of Law in the State.
In cattle rustling, a total number of eight (8) rustlers were killed, forty-four (44) arrested while five (5) were severely injured in several battles.
A total number of four hundred and thirty-five (435) rustled animals comprising three hundred and fifty-nine (359) Cows, sixty-one (61) Sheep, seven (7) Donkeys, seven (7) Camels and one (1) goat were recovered.
A total number of one hundred and seventy (170) suspected armed robbery suspects, one hundred and six (106) suspected Kidnappers were arrested, two (2) killed in battle and forty-four (44) victims rescued.
In the same year, following the State Government peace initiative, thirty (30) kidnapped victims were released by their captors.
Eleven (11) AK47 rifles, one (1) Tavo-21 rifle, two (2) English Pistols, twenty-four (24) locally made guns, twenty-seven (27) Dane guns, three hundred and ninety-eight (398) live ammunition and forty-eight (48) cartridges were also recovered during various sting operations carried out by the Command.
A total of Eighteen (18) motor vehicles and sixty-six (66) Motorcycles were recovered from fifty-nine (59) suspected criminals during the period under review.
7. I will like to also brief you on the most recent achievement of the Command. On 25/12/2019, at about 06:15hrs, based on a tip off, Operatives attached to SARS Katsina state Command succeeded in smashing a notorious syndicate of armed robbers that specialized in car snatching. On the same date at about 02:30hrs, the syndicate armed with AK 47 rifles, attacked the residence of one Alhaji Sani Sani Jibia of No.38 Stephen Shekari Road, Trade Fair Lay-out, Kaduna, Kaduna state, after firing some shots in the air robbed the residents of Two Toyota Corolla Motor vehicles, HP laptop computer, GSM Handsets and unspecified amount of money. Nemesis caught up with the syndicate when they were accosted by our SARS patrol team along Musawa – Kankia road, Katsina state. Two members of the syndicate arrested are:
1. Haruna Isah, m, aged 29yrs of Dan-Bushiya Quarters, Kaduna
2. Isiya Auwal, m, aged 22yrs of Inwala Quarters, Lambata, Gurara LGA of Niger state.
In the course of investigation another Toyota Camry 2006 model, Dark Ash in colour was recovered in their possession abandoned at Yar- Kutungu, Gyaza village, Kankia LGA of Katsina state. Also one Anti Tracking device “JAMMER” was also recovered inside the vehicle which was used by the hoodlums to evade tracking of the vehicle. Investigation is ongoing with a view to arrest other members of the syndicate.
Similarly, on 26/12/2019 at about 16:30hrs, the Command succeeded in arresting one Bangida Abubakar, m, aged 35yrs of Maraban Mai Gora village, Sabuwa LGA of Katsina state in possession of two locally made revolver rifles and one Dane Gun. Investigation is ongoing.
8. Gentlemen of the press, at this point, I will like to acknowledge and appreciate your immense cooperation and partnership with the Command. You have passionately displayed dedication and commitment towards strengthening the relative peace and security in the state through your fair and balanced reportage of the Command activities. The fight against crime and criminality is so dynamic and not an easy one, but I urge you to continue to project the hard and good work of the Police to the general public. I want to thank you for these commendable efforts. Thank you and God bless.
CP SANUSI BUBA, psc
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
KATSINA STATE COMMAND