ICPC Says El-Rufai’s Family Visited Multiple Times Daily, Denies Blocking Food Access
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has clarified that members of former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai’s family were granted multiple visits to him daily while in custody, dismissing allegations that the anti-graft agency denied him food or access to relatives.
The Commission said records showed that el-Rufai’s family members visited the facility several times within approved hours to deliver meals and other items, contrary to claims circulating in a viral video suggesting that he was isolated or starved.
Addressing journalists at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja on Monday, the ICPC Deputy Director and Head of Media and Public Communications, Mr. Demola Bakare, described the allegations as “false, misleading and capable of creating unnecessary public misunderstanding.”
According to him, the Commission operates a long-standing access control policy that permits visits to detainees only between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. daily, stressing that the procedure applies uniformly to all persons in custody regardless of their status.
Bakare explained that members of el-Rufai’s family had consistently complied with the visitation guidelines and were fully aware of the approved access period before the incident that sparked the controversy.
He disclosed that on the day in question, one of the former governor’s wives and a domestic aide visited the facility several times between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. to deliver meals and other items to him.
“The visits were properly documented in the Commission’s visitor register. The claim that Malam Nasir el-Rufai was denied food is therefore incorrect and contradicted by the facts,” he said.
Read Also:
The ICPC spokesperson further noted that the woman featured in the viral video admitted she arrived at the facility after official visiting hours had elapsed.
He added that she also acknowledged during the interview that breakfast and lunch had already been delivered to the former governor earlier in the day, thereby contradicting suggestions that he was being starved or isolated.
Bakare stated that the Commission permits supervised access to detainees by authorised persons, including lawyers, relatives and medical personnel, but emphasized that no visitor is allowed entry after the stipulated closing time due to security considerations.
Describing el-Rufai as a high-profile and politically exposed individual, the Commission said additional security measures were necessary to guarantee his safety and the integrity of the detention facility.
The ICPC also refuted claims that medical personnel were denied access to the former governor, explaining that officials merely requested proper identification and confirmation from the detainee before granting supervised entry in accordance with standard procedures.
According to the Commission, el-Rufai had recently been granted permission under supervision to visit his dentist and eye specialist at designated facilities in Abuja, in addition to having access to the Commission’s in-house medical services.
The anti-graft agency expressed concern that the disputed visit involved media personnel and occurred outside approved visitation hours, warning against attempts to undermine lawful institutional procedures through what it described as “dramatised narratives.”
Reaffirming its commitment to the rule of law, the ICPC stressed that its detention protocols are designed to protect the rights, dignity and security of all detainees without discrimination.
“The Commission remains committed to due process, professionalism and equal treatment of all persons in custody irrespective of political affiliation, social status or public profile,” Bakare stated.
By PRNigeria















