The Nigerian Military High Command says it was yet to verify reports of alleged kidnap of scores of villagers in Borno State earlier this week but says its officers were investigating as well as patrolling the area in search of terrorists.
According to a statement on the Defence Headquarters blog, “troops are patrolling the general area of Gumsuri in search of terrorists who were said to have attacked the community last weekend. Although it has been confirmed that some people were killed by the terrorists during the attack, the reported abductions as claimed by unidentified sources being quoted in some foreign media is yet to be verified from any credible sources in the community.
“Some of the villagers who fled during the attack have started returning to the village. Normal life has also returned to the area. The surveillance and patrol of the area by air and land forces has been stepped up to secure the general area.
“Troops have been ordered to sustain an aggressive patrol over the area and the surrounding communities in order to ensure that terrorists do not have any freedom of action in the area while the counter-terrorism campaign continues.”
There have been conflicting media reports mainly from foreign sources alleging that a conflicting number of citizens were kidnapped by terrorists earlier this week.
While some claimed that it happened on Sunday, others said the raid was conducted on Wednesday.
Again, while some sources put the figure at 100, some others said it was as high as 200.
PRNigeria encourages institutions to be transparent in their information management as it provides news items from authoritative sources for free use by the media
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
373 days 6 hours 21 minutes 50 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
355 days 8 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Spent 88 days from May 30, 2021 - August 26, 2021
Report By: PRNigeria.com