210 ISWAP Surrender as Military Airstrikes Kill 44 Terrorists
The troops activities and operational successes being recorded in the various operational theaters within the 6 geo-political zones of the Country. In the past 2 weeks, both kinetic and non-kinetic operations were conducted in the various theatres of operations, with significant results recorded. The brief will therefore cover operational activities of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies conducted in addressing the various security challenges across the Country between the period of 17 November – 1 December 2022.
NORTH EAST ZONE
2. Troops of Operation HADIN KAI have continued to dominate their general area of operation as they conducted operational activities in villages, mountains, towns and cities of Bama, Gwoza, Mafa, Damboa, Konduga, Monguno, Kukawa, Chibok and Maiduguri Local Government Areas of Borno State as well as Gujuba Local Government Area of Yobe State, geared towards denying Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and other criminal elements freedom of actions. Between 17 and 24 November 2022, troops conducted various ambushes, raid and clearance operations againt Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists at different locations within the theatre. During these operations troops made contact with the terrorists; following various fire fight troops neutralized 7 Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists while others fled with various degree of gun shot wounds. Troops equally recovered 13 AK47 rifles, 32 rounds of 7.62mm special, 7 AK47 rifles magazines, 3 dane guns, 9 bicycles, and 3 motorcycles; while 10 kidnapped civilians were also rescued during these operations.
3. Similarly, between 20 and 22 November 2022, 51 Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and their families comprising of 10 adult males, 15 adult females, and 26 children in Damboa and Chibok Local Government Areas of Borno State who claimed to the fled their camps as a result of ongoing offensive operation in their area, surrendered to own troops with 8 AK47 rifles, 3 dane guns, 35 rounds of locally fabricated 7.62mm special, 20 rounds 7.62mm special, 5 AK47 rifle magazines,1 x 36 hand grenade, 5 knives and 8 bicycles. Relatedly, on 19 November 2022, troops on fighting patrol made contact with Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province logistics suppliers while trying to drop logistic items for the terrorists at Bama village in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State, following the encounter, troops neutralized 2 terrorists and recovered 1 cartons of klin detergent, 1 JTF jacket and 51 gallons of groundnut oil among other items. Also, a notorious Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province logistic supplier was arrested on 20 November 2022, at a checkpoint in Bama Local Government Area conveying 49 jerrycans 30 litres Premium Motor Spirit and 50 packs of energy drinks, among other sundry items in a vehicle, while the sum of N70,510.00 was also recovered from the suspect.
4. Consequently, within the weeks in focus troops recovered 15 AK47 rifles, 82 rounds of 7.62mm special, 35 locally fabricated 7.62mm special, 3 dane guns, 1 x 36 hand grenade, 6 knives, and 8 AK47 magazines. Other items recovered include 51 jerrycans of groundnut oil, 1 cartons of klin detergent, 50 packs of energy drinks, 9 bicycles, 3 motorcycles, 10 mobile phones, 1 vehicle and the sum of One Hundred Thousand Five Hundred and Ten Naira (N100, 510.00). Troops equally neutralized 11 terrorist elements, arrested 47, including their logistic suppliers as well as rescued 10 abducted civilians. Also, a total of 139 Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and member of their families comprising of 27 adult males, 44 adult females and 68 children surrendered to troops at different locations within the theatre. All recovered items, rescued civilians and apprehended suspected terrorist have been handed over to the relevant authority for further action. While the surrendered Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and members of the families are being profiled for further action.
5. Similarly, the air component of the Operation HADIN KAI sustained the aggressive postured towards the fight against terrorists and other criminal elements in support of the land components. Accordingly, the air components carried out series of air strikes on terrorists locations in the Tumbuns near the Lake Chad, which recorded some remarkable results. Notably, on 26 November 2022, air recce intelligence revealed that terrorists were moving into Mallam Fatori from Tumbum Fulani with several gun trucks and numerous support weapons as well as other technical. Accordingly, an air interdiction operation was caried out which disrupted their activities following the strikes, reports revealed that several of the terrorist were eliminated on the shores of Lake Chad while 3 gun trucks hidden under the trees were equally destroyed. Similar strikes were conducted on 27 November 2022 at an identified terrorists training camps at Tumbun Hamma in the Lake Chad Region. Intelligence revealed that about 24 Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists were undergoing weapon handling and Improvised Explosive Device (IED) training at the location for 6 consecutive days. Consequently, the location was bombarded. The effect of the strike from the feedback revealed that several terrorists were neutralized with their weapons and IED destroyed.
6. Equally, as part on non-kinetic operation geared towards maximizing civil support for military operation in the North East Zone of the Country. The Commander Operation HADIN KAI on 18 November 2022 held a solemn meeting with various Heads of Humanitarian agencies in the North East. During the meeting, he expressed his heartfelt sympathy and also conveyed the condolences of the Chief of Defence State, the Service Chiefs and the entire Armed Forces of Nigeria over the unfortunate death of one of their staff by one of the own troop. He further assured the officials that investigation and remedial action are ongoing. Responding, the Team Leader thanked the Theatre Commander for reaching out to them over the incident, he stated that Humanitarian Organization in the North East has over the years enjoyed robust support, cooperation and synergy with the military and hopeful that the sad incident will not diminish the cooperation and support they are enjoying, but rather, create an avenue for more understanding and improved synergy. Equally, the Theatre Commander on 16 November 2022 received members of the Borno Agriculture Village on a courtesy call at the Headquarters Joint Task Force Operations HADIN KAI. During the visit the group expressed appreciate to troops for providing adequate security that enable them go to farm without fear of being attacked which resulted in the bumper harvest recorded. Responding, the Theatre Commander appreciate them and assured them that troops will continue to discharge their constitutional role professionally, safeguard lives and property and continue to deny terrorists and other criminal elements freedom of action until total peace is restored in the North East region.
NORTH CENTRAL ZONE
7. Between 17 – 30 November 2022, troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN conducted various operational activities in Doma, Kurgwi village in Quapan Local Government Area, Karara village in Bokkos Local Government Area, Jebu, Dajak villages in Riyom Local Government Area and Agwan Bagarmi village in Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State. Significantly, on 28 November 2022, troops while on stop and search operation at Gidan Ado in Ganawuri in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State arrested a suspected gun runner with 5 locally fabricated AK47 rifles concealed in a bag. Also, on 18 November 2022, troops responded to distress call on the abduction incident at Jebu village in Riyom Local Government Area, troops mobilized to the scene but the criminal fled on sighting the troops, own troops however, went in pursuit and arrested 3 criminal as well as rescued 5 of the kidnapped civilians.
8. Relatedly, troops of Operation WHILR STROKE arrested 5 suspected criminals while on fighting patrols to Kwazaye, Shelena and Ukande villages in Katsina-Ala Local Government Area of Benue State. The arrested criminals were revealed to be foot soldiers of a notorious bandit leader Iorkoso Tyopaha operating within Kaamen village. Also, 4 suspected bandits informant were arrested at Sankara Junction in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State. Equally, on 23 November 2022 military troops in conjunction with the Nigerian Police personnel arrested a suspected criminal at Apo Mechanic Village in Abuja Municipal Area Council in possession of one AK47 rifles and a pistol concealed in a bag inside his vehicle. Also, troops in conjunction with other security agencies conducted joint raid operation at Guzape, Apo and Area 1 District in Abuja Municipal Area Council, during the operation, 21 suspected criminals were arrested while over 200 motorcycles were recovered and destroyed during the operation.
9. Consequently, within the weeks in focus troops recovered 12 AK47 rifles, 3 pistols revolver, 2 vehicles, and rescued 9 civilians. Troops also neutralized 3 criminals while 54 criminals were arrested. All recovered items, rescued civilians and arrested criminals were handed over to the relevant authority for further action. While the motorcycles recovered from the criminals were crushed at an open field in the presence of all participating agencies.
NORTH WEST ZONE
10. Troops of Operation HADARIN DAJI in North West Zone of the Country have continued to sustain operational activities through the conduct of fighting patrols, raids, ambushes and clearance operations to clear bandits and terrorist enclaves in villages of Kaduna, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara States respectively. Notably on 17 November 2022, troops on stop and search operation arrested 5 bandits collaborators at Daudawa village in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State with the sum of Nineteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira (N19,500,000.00) in their possession. Troops also recovered a vehicle and 5 mobile phones from the suspect. Similarly, on 20 November 2022, troops on patrol made contact with bandits at Yambuki village in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State following a fire fight, troops neutralized 3 of the bandits while other fled with gun shot wounds. Troops exploited the area and recovered 91 link rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 30 rounds of 7.62mm special, 2 AK47 rifles and 3 motorcycles. Equally, on 21 November 2022, troops arrested a suspected gun runner with 269 rounds of 7.62mm special in his possession while on his way from Zaria to Damari village in Birni Magaji Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
11. Consequently, between 17 November to 1 December 2022, troops recovered 8 AK47 rifles, 332 rounds of 7.62mm special, 91 link rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition, 5 dane guns. Other items recovered include Nineteen Million Five Hundred and Forty One Thousand Eight Hundred Naira (19,541,800.00), 162 rustled cattle, 1 vehicles, 13 mobile phones and 8 motor cycles. Troops equally neutralized 11 bandits, arrested 10 and rescued 9 civilians. All recovered items, apprehended criminals and rescued civilians were handed over to the appropriate authority for further action. Equally, the air component of operation HADARIN DAJI in sustenance of efforts aimed at ridding the North West of terrorists activities, on the 18 November 2022, carried out strikes on the enclave of notorious terrorist leader and gun runner, Mallam Illa at Manawa willage in Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara State. Following the air strike on the location, it was confirmed that 7 terrorists were neutralized while Mallam Illa and some terrorists narrowly escaped with critical injuries.
SOUTH SOUTH ZONE
12. Troops of Joint Task Force, Operation DELTA SAFE has sustained kinetic operation geared towards sustaining a conducive environment for economic activities to thrive and deny criminals the oppotunity to carry out their illegal oil theft activites in Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers States respectively. Cumulatively, between 17 November to 1 December 2022, the land and maritime component of Operation DELTA SAFE in the conduct of Operation OCTOPUS GRIP discovered and destroyed 81 illegal refining sites, 254 storage tanks, 173 cooking ovens, 118 dugout pits, and 36 wooden boats. Equally, troops recovered 1,060,500 litres of crude oil, 391,000 litres of Automotive Gas Oil, 11 cars, 6 tankers, 8 pumping machines, 3 motorcycles, 2 outboard engines, 1 tricycle, and 5 AK47 rifle loaded with 10m rounds of 7.62mm special, while 81 criminal elements were also apprehended during the various operations.
13. Similarly, on 21 November 2022, troops raided suspected gunmen enclave at Ebem Community in Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State. Following the operation troops arrested 13 suspects and recovered 2 pump action guns, 2 double barrel rifles, 3 dane guns, 1 locally made pistol, 3 cartridges and 6 machetes. Cumulatively within the weeks in focus oil thieves were denied a total of Four Hundred and Seventy One Million, Two Hundred and Five Thousand Four Hundred and Twenty Five Naira (N471,205,425.00) in the South South Region.
SOUTH EAST ZONE
14. Troops in conjunction with other security agencies in the South East region have continued to sanitize the region in the fight against the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network as operational activities were conducted in villages, forest cities and towns of Imo, Anambra, Enugu and Abia States respectively. Notably, on 18 November 22 following an intelligent report on the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network at Oji River town in Oji River LGA of Enugu State, troop then carried out a blocking operation. After the encounter with the criminal who fled, troops recovered 1 AK 47 rifle, 1 pistol, 3 AK 47 magazine loaded with 47 rounds of 7.62 mm special, 9 rounds of 9 mm ammunition and 3 vehicles, while 2 kidnaped victims were rescued. Also, on 20 November 2022 troops in conjunction with other security agencies on patrol at Izombe community in Aguta Local Government Area of Imo State came in contact with Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals. Troops neutralized 2 criminals while other fled. Troops exploited the area and recovered 3 AK47 rifles, 1 x 36 hand grenade, 3 motorcycles, 12 mobile phones and the sum of N241,000. All recovered items were handed over to the appropriate authority for further action.
SOUTH WEST ZONE
16. Troops in the South West Zone of the Country has sustained the fight against smugglers of contraband goods and other criminal elements within the general area of operation. Troops of the joint border patrol conducted operational activities at the bush path, riverine, towns and cities of Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Lagos States. Cumulatively, troops of Operation AWATSE in the conduct of Operation SWIFT RESPONSE recovered 447 x 50kg bags of foreign rice, 125 jerrycans of 25litres of Premium Motor Spirit and 1 vehicle. All recovered items were handed over to the Nigerian Customs for further action.
17. On a final note, I wish once again convey the military high command commendations on troops efforts in the various theatres of operation across the nation. The media community is also acknowledged for their partnership and continued cooperation with the military and other security agencies, in our quest to restore peace and security to our dear Country. Also, the entire populace is hereby appreciated, for the support given to the Armed Forces and other security agencies in the conduct of our operations, while also urging them to continue to provide prompt and creditable information on the activities of terrorists and other criminal elements, in their respective areas.
Thank you all for your attention and GOD bless.
1 December 2022 Defence Media Operations
Kidnapped School ChildrenYauri FGC Students, Kebbi
589 days 20 hours 16 minutes 21 seconds,
Baptist School Students, Kaduna
571 days 21 hours 57 minutes 46 seconds
Tegina Islamiya Pupils, Niger (Freed)
Report By: PRNigeria.com