Minister of Science and Technology, Dr. Abdu Bulama has called for a strong partnership between the ministry and Mosanto, a French based Company with a view to reviving the Moribond Cotton Industry in Nigeria.
- The Minister remarked that Mosanto’s expertise and Technological innovations in BT Cotton over the years, are the key ingredients that Nigeria needs at the moment to revive her own cotton.
- He said this when he received in audience Notalia Voruz, Commerical Lead West Africa (Mosanto) and other members of the delegation during a courtesy call in his office, in Abuja.
- According to Dr. Bulama, the activities of Mosanto, which are focused on improving high breeds, agricultural production and development of farming in general are quite significant to Mr. President’s Transformation Agenda which has strong base in Agriculture for employment generation and wealth creation.
- The Minister said that partnership would be anchored basically in three major areas which are: to strengthen the biotechnology sector; capacity building through technology transfer and developing farmers with improved seed production.
- He applauded Mosanto and stated that his visit to its Corporation Headquarters has given the Ministry the opportunity to see the well organized management, the production pattern and the overall technological innovations to develop Nigeria’s agriculture.
- He assured the head of the delegation and her team of the ministry’s support and also getting the legal framework which is the Biosafety Act to underpin all biotechnology activities in the country.
- Speaking earlier the head of the delegation who is also the Commercial Lead West Africa, Notalia Voruz said there were in the ministry to partner with it so as to help in reviving the cotton industry of Nigeria. She stated the readiness of Mosanto to offer capacity building to this effect. She noted that Nigeria was a leading country in cotton production which boosted her textile industries which went moribund.