• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Government FG set to begin trial of 5,000 Boko Haram inmate across the...
  • Government

FG set to begin trial of 5,000 Boko Haram inmate across the country

By
Prnigeria
-
February 24, 2021

FG set to begin trial of 5,000 Boko Haram inmate across the country

The Federal Government says it will soon begin the arraignment of 5,000 suspected Boko Haram members in various detention facilities across the country.

The Director General of Legal Aid Council, Aliyu Abubakar, disclosed this during a courtessy visit to Borno Governor Babagana Zulum on Tuesday at the Maiduguri Government House.

Abubakar said that the inmate were detained at Giwa Barrack, Maiduguri and Kainji Correctional facilities among others over their alleged involvement in the activities of the Boko Haram.

He said that the trial would be conducted by the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, Office of the National Security Advisers in collaboration with the Theartre Command Operation Lafiya Dole, while the Legal Aid Council was mandated to provide Defence for the inmates during the hearing of the case.

He explained that the legal aid team have so far interviewed about 283 as part of the efforts to established extend of their involvement as well as to understand the nature of the crimes they committed.

“As their defence council, we have to interview them from time to time to enable us to know their own part of the story.
It so because regardless of the generous crimes they committed it is possible that out of hundreds, you may found out that one or two persons were innocent of the charges that they are being detained.

“It was neccessary for them to be represented by council to make sure that the official fullfill all the requirement of the provisions of the law.

Read Also:

  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria

” All evidence must be presented against them before the court of the law so that those that were found guilty are prosecuted and face the consequences of their action.

“In as much as every body is awere of the nature of the crime they have committed, under our laws, they are innocent untill proven guilty.

The Director General said that no matter the time of crime they committed, they were entitled to a trial instead of the continued detention.

Abubakar appealed to the Governor to assist the Council with finnancial support as part of the responsibility of the state government provided in its mandate to enable it’s perform its duties effectively and comfortably.

He also lauded the leadership of Operation Lafiya Dole for providing the legal team with access to its detention facility to meet the inmates and interact with them.

He prayed that with the recent changes made in the country’s Military leadership would transform into progress toward bringing an end to the scourge of insurgency and armed banditry in the country.

In his remarks, Governor Babagana Zulum, said the government was ready to partner with the federal government to enable it achieved it mandate.

Represented by the Deputy Governor, Zulum, lauded the council for providing legal support to the people of the state while assuring them that the government’s commitment toward supporting the activities of the council finnancially.

He also urged the federal government and other stakeholders to adopt a sustainability plans in the Operation Safe Corridor program geared toward rehabilitation of persons connected to insurgency.

He said that lack of proper exit sustainability plans on the program has remained a major challenge hampering the success of the program in the state.

By PRNigeria

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • Babagana Zulum
  • Boko Haram
  • Borno
  • fg
  • Legal Aid Council
Previous articlePHOTOS: Troops Clear Corpses of ISWAP Terrorists in Marte Communities
Next articleZulum at hospitals, confirms 10 deaths, 47 injuries after Boko Haram’s RPG hit Gwange
Prnigeria
Prnigeria
Xing

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah

How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate

Kanu of IPOB Arrested

SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria

AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin

Ilorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education Projects

IMPR's Founder and Editor-in-Chief of PRNigeria, Alhaji Yashau Shuaib (right), the DG of NAN, Ali M. Ali (making a presentation to one of the new PRNigeria Communication Fellows), and the President of NUJ, Alhassan Yahya (left) in a group photo at the event.

FG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication Fellows

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate Confirmation

NAF logo

NAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health Services

Trump, Ribadu, Saudi Prince and Pete Hegseth

Genocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu’s Team and the Saudi Prince

Troops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing Terrorists

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Recent Posts

  • No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria – Hassan Kukah
  • How Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto Caliphate
  • SPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in Nigeria
  • Muslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger State
  • VP Shettima: Education is Nigeria’s “Immune System,” Declares Commitment to Increased Funding
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
No Evidence of Christian Persecution, Genocide in Nigeria - Hassan KukahHow Musa and Asabe Gwabin Nurtured a CDS in the Sokoto CaliphateSPECIAL REPORT: Nnamdi Kanu and the Hard Realities of Prison Rights in NigeriaMuslim Women Group Praises Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Calls for Immediate Action in Niger StateVP Shettima: Education is Nigeria's "Immune System," Declares Commitment to Increased FundingIlorin Emirate Youth Hail AVM Lanre Ibrahim Oluwatoyin (Rtd.) for Deepening Space Research, Education ProjectsFG, NUJ Harp on Media Integrity as PRNigeria Inducts 10 New Communication FellowsBREAKING: Tinubu Nominates Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, 30 Others as Ambassadors, Seeks Senate ConfirmationTinubu Appoints Mahmud, Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Others as AmbassadorsNAF Graduates New Specialists to Strengthen Air Operations, Health ServicesGenocide Claim: President Trump, Ribadu's Team and the Saudi PrinceTroops Repel ISWAP Attack in Chibok as NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Scores of Fleeing TerroristsUNICAL Scandal: ICPC Reads Riot Act to Sexual Predators in High Places  DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
X whatsapp