• Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Search
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
Sign in
Welcome! Log into your account
Forgot your password? Get help
Password recovery
Recover your password
A password will be e-mailed to you.
PRNIGERIA PRNigeria News
PRNIGERIA PRNIGERIA
  • Home
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Fact-Check
  • Economy
  • National
  • Security
  • Features
  • State
  • Event
  • E-Book
Home Anti-Corruption Badeh was humble, peaceful, Didnt Ask for frivolous applications- Justice Abang
  • Anti-Corruption

Badeh was humble, peaceful, Didnt Ask for frivolous applications- Justice Abang

By
Tony Orilade
-
January 16, 2019
Alex Badeh
Air Marshal Alex Badeh

Badeh was humble, peaceful, Didnt Ask for frivolous applications- Judge
…Court to Decide Fate of Badeh’s Case, Feb 26

Justice Okon Abang of a Federal High Court, Abuja, has adjourned the alleged N3.9 billion fraud case involving a former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh to February 26, 2019, to enable parties know how to proceed with regards to the defence of Iyalikam Nigeria Limited, a company with whom he was standing trial.

Badeh who was killed on December 18, 2018 by yet to be identified gunmen along the Keffi-Abuja Road, on his way from his farm in Nasarawa State was expected to open his defence on January 16, 2019. The EFCC had closed its case against him and the company, on October 23, 2018 after calling 21 witnesses.

At the resumed sitting on January 16, 2019, Badeh’s counsel, Akin Olujimi, SAN, informed the Court of the death of his client.

Describing his murder as a “shock”, Olujimi said that the “unfortunate incident” deprived Badeh “the opportunity to let the world know that he did not commit the offence with which he was charged”.

“When a defendant to a crime has passed on, the litigation against him must terminate,” he said, further stressing that his late client would have been able to disprove the allegations against him.

He thereafter, applied for an adjournment “pending the burial” of the deceased, and informed the Court that “the prosecution and defence teams are making arrangements to meet, regarding how to proceed with the matter”.

Counsel for the company, S.T. Ologunorisa, SAN, aligned himself with the submission of Olujimi, and further appealed that the matter be adjourned to a later date, “as a mark of honour for the late Badeh”.

“We will also want the Court to vacate the other dates earlier scheduled for hearing,” he added.

Read Also:

  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m

Prosecuting counsel, O. A. Atolagbe, also expressed his condolence. According to him, though the demise of the first defendant was public knowledge, the Court being “a Court of Record”, it was essential for the defence to furnish it with a death certificate.

He further urged the court to discountenance the submission of Olujimi in respect of the first defendant’s ability to disprove the allegations against him, stating that the submission was “unnecessary” given the circumstances.

While not raising any objection to the application for adjournment, Atolagbe confirmed that moves had been made towards setting up a meeting between both parties to decide in which direction the case will go.

He however said that it was impractical to hinge the next adjournment on Badeh’s burial, noting that Olujimi had not indicated when the burial was likely to take place.

“We urge the Court to adjourn to a more practical date,” he added.

Arguing against the need for a death certificate, Olujimi, citing the case of Osafile v. Odi (1990) 2 NLWR (Pt.137), however, submitted that “in such a matter of public knowledge, which the Court itself as a member of a community is aware of, there is no need for any evidence, the court will simply take judicial notice of the matter”.

After the arguments, Justice Abang held that: “In this instance, it is not necessary for the counsel to the first defendant to tender a death certificate because the death of the first defendant is public knowledge and the court is aware.

“It is not in dispute that the first defendant is dead.

“He was humble and peaceful. He would always stand, waiting in the dock, until the Court would order him to sit. He attended proceedings at all times and always present in time. He never asked for frivolous applications or wasted the Court’s time, complying at all times with the Court’s rules. May his soul rest in peace”.

Tony Orilade
Ag. Head, Media & Publicity

VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITES
PRNigeria.com EconomicConfidential.com PRNigeria.com/Hausa/
EmergencyDigest.com PoliticsDigest.ng TechDigest.ng
HealthDigest.ng SpokesPersonsdigest.com TeensDigest.ng
ArewaAgenda.com Hausa.ArewaAgenda.com YAShuaib.com
  • TAGS
  • Badeh
  • efcc
  • Justice Okon Abang
Previous articleIGP Adamu Appoints ACP Frank Mba New Police Spokesperson
Next articleFinally, Ex-Air Chief Amosu Forfeited N2.2bn to FG
Tony Orilade
Tony Orilade
https://prnigeria.com
PRNigeria is the pioneer Press Release Distribution agency in Nigeria. A member of image Merchant Promotions limited, PRNigeria encourages individuals and organisations to be more transparent in their information management. with dedicated Editorial staffs, the PRNigeria ensures that information provided on its platforms are timely, factual and authoritative Read more at: //prnigeria.com/about/
Facebook Twitter

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Director General, Major General Babatunde Alaya, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and President of DMG event, Christopher Hudson,

DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder

VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest

Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations

Nigerian Army

Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up

PRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West Africa

Navy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime Security

Police Service Commission

PSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint Committee

Troops of Nigerian Army after successfully foiling an ambush by Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger State

Seal of the Nigerian Senate

Akpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air Force

Customs, Gambia Revenue Authority Seal AEO Collaboration

Customs, Gambia Revenue Authority Seal AEO Collaboration

CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori of Kano State

Kano Police Deploys Additional Operatives to Secure Communities, Schools

Air Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke, Chief of the Air Staff (CAS)

Air Chief Vows Continued Support for NDA in Producing Combat-Ready Officers

LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply

Log in to leave a comment

Recent Posts

  • DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in Gunpowder
  • VP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to Rest
  • Kano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28m
  • Troops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno Operations
  • Army Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-Up
  • Home
  • About
  • Adverts
  • Contact
© 2020 PRNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Latest News
DICON Targets 30m Ammunition Rounds Annually, Eyes Self-Sufficiency in GunpowderVP Shettima, Ribadu, Atiku Lead Dignitaries as Sheikh Dahiru Usman-Bauchi is Laid to RestKano Police Arrest Transborder Crime Financier, Recover N15.28mTroops Arrest 22 Terror Logistics Suppliers, Eliminate Terrorist in Separate Borno OperationsArmy Elevates 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels in Major Leadership Shake-UpPRNigeria’s Factchecker Wins Best Open Source Intelligence Award in West AfricaNavy Launches Exercise OMI AILEWU 2025 to Boost Maritime SecurityPSC, Police Move to Recruit 30,000 Policemen, Inaugurate Joint CommitteeTroops Foil Bandit Attack in Sokoto as Police Arrest Kidnappers in Niger StateAkpabio Dissolves Senate Committees on National Security and Intelligence, Air ForceNigerian Navy Elevates 15 Rear Admirals, 31 Commodores, 81 OthersNAF Promotes 27 AVMs, 30 Air CommodoresCustoms PR Unit Shines at CGC Award Night as Kano/Jigawa Command Clinches Multiple HonoursCustoms, Gambia Revenue Authority Seal AEO CollaborationKano Police Deploys Additional Operatives to Secure Communities, Schools
X whatsapp